Valerie

San Diego

What are the best hidden gems in San Diego?

I'm take a mini vacation down to San Diego and although I've been there plenty of times before. I isolate myself in one area and never really get the chance to see some cool parts of the city. I love local markets, hand made goods, quirky little stores, music, art. Anything that you can think of that is unique to San Diego, i'm all ears for suggestions. Thanks! 

Hoyt from New York City

Valerie - Take a short Uber ride to Baci Restaurant one night for dinner. Old-school Italian. It feels like a mix between a mafia place and someone's Gramma cooking. Cool vibe and fantastic food. It's not classic San Diego but worth the visit. Brunch at Tower23 is also a great idea (or World Famous for more casual). During the day I suggest a beach day on the beach outside Hotel Del Coronado and a hike on the Mount Woodson Trail , Torrey Pines and/or Sunset Cliffs. have fun!

1. Baci Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Tower23 (hotel)
  3. Hotel Del Coronado (hotel)
  4. Mount Woodson Trail (attraction)
  5. Torrey Pines (attraction)
  6. Sunset Cliffs (attraction)

David from El Cajon

If you like urban and/or rural hiking, check out this website: http://hiddensandiego.net/categories--hiking.php

One of the best Farmers Market is held every Saturday in Little Italy. Not just produce, but also crafts and artisan foods, street music and great people watching - http://www.littleitalysd.com/mercato/.

My favorite place for Mexican food is Las Cuatro Milpas.  The wait in line at lunch time can be over 30 minutes, so plan accordingly.  Whatever the wait, its worth it.

Cheers!

1. Little Italy (attraction)
  2. Las Cuatro Milpas (restaurant)

Joan from San Diego

In Balboa Park, there is an artists colony between the San Diego Natural History Museum and the San Diego Zoo - also Point Loma has beautiful views and is the smallest national park in the USA. Wine country in Temecula is fun - if it's Saturday or Sunday visit the Gems of Pala Inc (11 miles from Temecula) and buy a bucket of dirt for $20 - then sift for tourmalines!

1. Balboa Park (attraction)
  2. San Diego Natural History Museum (attraction)
  3. San Diego Zoo (attraction)
  4. Point Loma (attraction)
  5. Temecula (attraction)
  6. Gems of Pala Inc (attraction)

Katherine from San Diego

North Park and South Park are San Diego's up and coming areas, especially for restaurants and not many people know about it. North Park also has a lot of cute, funky shops along University Avenue.  Ocean Beach is not my favorite area of San Diego, but there are quirky stores there.

1. North Park (attraction)
  2. South Park (attraction)
  3. Ocean Beach (attraction)

Tonco from London

San Diego is amazing, you will love it, My favourite places: CoronadoBalboa ParkDowntownLittle ItalyOcean Beach

1. Coronado (attraction)
  2. Balboa Park (attraction)
  3. Downtown (attraction)
  4. Little Italy (attraction)
  5. Ocean Beach (attraction)