Christine
Austin (Texas)

Christine from Austin (Texas) asked

What are the best breweries in the area?

Can anyone tell me what the best breweries are in the area? I'll have a car when I'm down there, so they don't have to be right in San Diego proper, although that's where I'm staying.  And don't worry -- will always have a DD!

San Diego (California)

Kyle from San Diego

Oh man, loaded question! There are well over 80 breweries/brew pubs in San Diego. It's practically a Mecca for good craft beer. You really don't necessarily need to visit the breweries themselves; tasting rooms and/or bars often give you a chance to try a lot of different ones. Nevertheless, here are a few of my favorite places to visit:

I really could go on for a while about this, but westcoastersd.com is a great resource for more San Diego beer info. Check out their directory for a list of even more places.

Hope that helps!

Derek
Pizza Port in Solana beach is a must also for both the Pizza and their world class brew

Valerie
Thanks for all of those recommendations! I've been wanting to go on some tours myself but had no idea where to start.

Gordon
Great recs... Having spent time in SD I was unaware of a few of these. Thanks!

1. Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens (attraction)
  2. Stone Brewing Company (restaurant)
  3. Coronado Brewing Company (attraction)
  4. Hess Brewing (attraction)
  5. URBN Coal Fired Pizza (restaurant)
  6. Belching Beaver Tasting Room (attraction)
  7. Mission Brewery (attraction)
  8. Petco Park (attraction)
  9. Neighborhood (restaurant)
Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

Ballast Point Brewing Company -- can't say enough about Calico Amber Ale.  

Also, never been to the brewpub, but I love most of what Lagunitas Brewing Company makes. They're up north in Petaluma.  Just putting that out there.

Peter
Interesting...my answer was edited slightly. A human did that? I wasn't expecting that.

Hey Peter! Thanks for sharing these breweries. Since Christine's question was specific to the San Diego area, we thought it best to point out that Lagunitas is up north in Petaluma to clear things up. I'm sorry if there was any confusion. If you have any other questions or thoughts, you have my email! :)

Katherine from San Diego