Sabine
Amsterdam

San Diego

Things to do in San Diego if you just have a few hours and are by yourself

Hi Trippy friends!

I am going to San Diego mid November for a conference. I have been there twice before for the same conference but never really saw the city or did anything else than going to the conference. I saw to the Gaslamp district only and Coronado as well as we are staying there.

So this year I am really planning to actually see something of the city and do some fun stuff. I need your help for this!

I am by myself (which makes stuff to do always less fun :-( ) and I only have a couple of hours each day to do / see something. Places to go, things to do, restaurants to lunch at, cafe to drink coffee, all tips are welcome! 

Gary from San Diego

Hi Sabine,

There are so many great little escapes in and near the city. If you are staying in Coronado, there is a ferry that will take you across the bay to the Broadway Pier where you can walk to many areas in the city. An easy spot would be to explore Little Italy, a short walk northeast from the ferry landing. Stop by the Waterfront Park and explore the wading pools and views. Once in Little Italy, there are several very good restaurants and coffee houses. My favorites are Ironside for lunch, brunch and excellent oysters, PrepKitchen for breakfast and brunch, Ballast Point Tasting Room & Kitchen Restaurant for some of San Diego's best craft beer and inspired pub food, and James Coffee Co. for freshly roasted coffee and some small boutiques to explore. Other quick choices are Cafe Zucchero for an espresso and gelato, or Landini's Pizzeria for a slice and a cold beer.

If you walk south on Harbor Drive, you will pass the USS Midway Museum and end up in Seaport Village with many shops and restaurants.

If you have a little more time and want to get a taxi or Uber, go east to Balboa Park, about 3 miles from the waterfront. There are plenty of things to do there. Many of the museums (my favorite is Museum of Photographic Arts in El Prado) can easily be visited in under an hour. Stop by Panama 66 for lunch or dinner in the sculpture garden and a local craft beer, or make the walk west across the Cabrillo Bridge to Cucina Urbana for excellent Italian inspired dishes.

Enjoy your visit! I think you'll find that San Diego is pretty friendly to single visitors. Let me know how you end up spending your time.

Cheers!

1. Broadway Pier (attraction)
  2. Little Italy (attraction)
  3. Waterfront Park (attraction)
  4. Ironside (restaurant)
  5. PrepKitchen (restaurant)
  6. Ballast Point Tasting Room & Kitchen Restaurant (restaurant)
  7. James Coffee Co. (attraction)
  8. Cafe Zucchero (restaurant)
  9. Landini's Pizzeria (restaurant)
  10. USS Midway Museum (attraction)
  11. Seaport Village (attraction)
  12. Balboa Park (attraction)
  13. Museum of Photographic Arts (attraction)
  14. Panama 66 (restaurant)
  15. Cabrillo Bridge (attraction)
  16. Cucina Urbana (restaurant)

Gail from Madison

I think Balboa Park is a must see. Many interesting aspects to the park.La Jolla Cove is another terrific spot.

1. Balboa Park (attraction)
  2. La Jolla Cove (attraction)

Kevin from Hermosa Beach

First of all, go to Kansas City Barbeque right across the street from the San Diego Convention Center. It's a dive bar that gets in a few characters and is the bar where Top Gun was filmed. Ask the bartender about that and he or she will go into a pretty funny routine explaining everything.

The ferry to Coronado Island is right out the back of the Convention Center but two hours is very limited time (plus it's a hike or a bus ride to the main area by the Hotel Del Coronado).

It's fun to walk around Seaport Village; there are a few street performers (some of whom later go spend their tip money at KC BBQ. Edgewater Grill has good $5 margaritas for Happy Hour all 7 days. By the USS Midway (another thing to do) there's a veterans memorial with a tape playing jokes from Bob Hope's shows to the troops.

The And the Gaslamp Quarter is awesome – each bar is different each night of the week. Here's a link to 10 great things to do in San Diego.

https://www.pubclub.com/destinations/united-states/california/san-diego/10-tips-on-spending-the-perfect-weekend-in-san-diego/

1. Kansas City Barbeque (restaurant)
  2. San Diego Convention Center (attraction)
  3. Coronado Island (island)
  4. Hotel Del Coronado (hotel)
  5. Seaport Village (attraction)
  6. Edgewater Grill (restaurant)
  7. Gaslamp Quarter (attraction)