Claudia asked

LOCATION

I am about to rent an Airbnb for my family for a few weeks in San Diego. Anyone from San Diego that can guide me in what neighborhood to stay?

San Diego (California)

JRath
Depends on how much $ you would like to spend really. Old Town San Diego and Hotel Circle are centrally located and have plenty of options. La JollaCoronadoOcean BeachPacific Beach and Mission Beach areas will have more tourists attractions and photo ops while places like La MesaHillcrest Neighborhood/Bankers HillAlpine (California)Santee all have small town charm and will definitely be cheaper than the beach areas. Good luck, hope this helps.

Claudia
THANK YOU! I am definitley lookig for the small town charm :) you really helped. · (1 like)

Claudia
Whenever you need to know anything from Costa Rica..let me know. · (1 like)

1. Old Town San Diego (attraction)
  2. Hotel Circle (hotel)
  3. La Jolla (city)
  4. Coronado (city)
  5. Ocean Beach (attraction)
  6. Pacific Beach (neighborhood)
  7. Mission Beach (attraction)
  8. La Mesa (city)
  9. Hillcrest Neighborhood (attraction)
  10. Bankers Hill (attraction)
  11. Alpine (California) (city)
  12. Santee (city)
Jason
Are you looking for beach areas?
Mission Beach next to the roller coaster, Belmont Park is great . The board walk (Ocean Front Walk) on the ocean is a little more active than Mission Bay side across the street. The bay side is quiet. Pacific Beach next to Mission Beach is great too with a lot of shops and restaurants.

Claudia
Thank you! It really helped. Whenever you need to know anything from Costa Rica..let me know. · (1 like)

Jason
I do need info on Costa Rica! my 3 kids want to go there in December. Never been.

1. Mission Beach (attraction)
  2. Belmont Park (attraction)
  3. Ocean Front Walk (route)
  4. Mission Bay (natural feature)
  5. Pacific Beach (neighborhood)
Kristen

1. Mission Valley (attraction)
Brenda
JRath and other answers are great. Depends on what you want to do. If you're going to Legoland, staying nearby would be very convenient, further south Encinitas and Solana Beach are lovely all near some great beaches in SD north county. If you're interested in zoo/museums/city staying closer to Balboa Park may be appealing. Hillcrest is walking distance to these places and has some beautiful areas.

Juan
Little ItalyDel MarDowntown are a few places that have many things to do.

1. Little Italy (attraction)
  2. Del Mar (city)
  3. Downtown (attraction)
Gary from San Diego
Hi Claudia. All the previous answers have great reccomendations for central San Diego. The beaches listed are the most popular and I'd like to suggest the areas of Encinitas and Leucadia to consider. They are north of the busy part of San Diego but have that quintessential small beach town vibe and maintain a lot of that history. It's a little more laid back than the craziness of Pacific and Mission Beach.
There is so much to explore along the entire San Diego coastline and interior! From ocean and beach activities to sub-alpine mountain hiking or biking, you'll never be far from any of it. Enjoy your time here!

Claudia
Gary Thank you so much! I will definitely visit Encinitas and now Leucadia because of your suggestion :) Let me know if you visit Costa Rica and I can repay your time with good tips and advices. · (1 like)

1. Encinitas (city)
  2. Leucadia (attraction)
Filipe from San Diego
Hi Claudia, 
Ocean Beach (OB), Pacific Beach (PB), and Mission Beach are my favorites. Super close to everything. You can walk to the beach, tons of great restaurants, and things to do. Also downtown is just a 10 minutes drive. 
If looking for a more budget location, Point Loma and Mission Valley are also ok, a 5~10 minutes drive (Uber) to those beaches.

Claudia
Thank you! It really helped. Whenever you need to know anything from Costa Rica..let me know.

1. Ocean Beach (attraction)
  2. Pacific Beach (neighborhood)
  3. Mission Beach (attraction)
  4. Point Loma (attraction)
  5. Mission Valley (attraction)