Lauren
Jersey

San Diego

Is Midtown a safe area?

Please could you advise me whether Midtown is a safe area and whether there is a lot to do there? I was also wondering how long it would take to drive from there into San Diego Central and whether it is close to the attractions?

Thank you

JP from Sherman Oaks, California

My wife and I were there last weekend. We stayed at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego Downtown which is at the north end of downtown. We walked a mile to The Oceanaire Seafood Room restaurant down front street (very good place). Front street goes though an area of banks and government building and the police and jail. I would stay east of this area. There are also a lot of homeless so beware of that, we didn't have a problem. You can take the trolley to travel from north to south and east to west. I would say the Gaslamp Quarter area and the area along the water you will be just fine. Be sure to go to Old Town San Diego while you are there. 

1. DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego Downtown (hotel)
  2. Gaslamp Quarter (attraction)
  3. Old Town San Diego (attraction)
  4. The Oceanaire Seafood Room (restaurant)

Tonco from London

I just came from San Diego few months ago, I find San Diego very safe in comparison with other cities in USA.

J from San Diego

Jason is right about the location For night life, San Diego and Little Italy are better.

1. San Diego (city)
  2. Little Italy (attraction)

John from Carlsbad (California)

Midtown is about a 10 minute drive to downtown and to the beaches.  Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo Zoo are only about 5 minutes away, Adjacent to it on the west side are the freeway and the airport.  If you are away from the freeway a little to the east, I think it is safe and relatively quiet.  There are some restaurants along India Street, including theWine Vault & Bistro, which is very good for the money.

1. Balboa Park (attraction)
  2. San Diego Zoo (attraction)
  3. Wine Vault & Bistro (restaurant)