David
University City, Missouri

San Diego

Couple with twins: looking for best luxe resorts with kids

I want a resort for my kids and I where I can get room service, the kids can swim in a heated pool and we can do it for under 350/night. Oceanfront not required, but nearby is fine. Suggestions?

Lisa from West Side

I might be biased because I used to work there during college but the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa in Mission Bay is a great resort to bring your kids.  They have a kids program with a heated pool, a bike rental shack, and a kids club area.  It is close to the Mission Beach but not of the pacific ocean. 

1. Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa (hotel)
  2. Mission Beach (attraction)

Ron from Denver

1. Hotel Del Coronado (hotel)

John from Carlsbad (California)

There are two resorts in Carlsbad (California), my hometown, that you might like.  The first is the Park Hyatt Aviara Resort and the other one is La Costa Resort & Spa.  Neither of them is ocean front, but they both are close and have nice pools.  Both of them require a short drive to get to anything else, but they are very self-contained.  Both have outstanding golf courses if you play golf.  I favor Aviara because it is a beautiful property and it has three excellent restaurants, including a fine Italian restaurant, Vivace.  You should be able to get into both for less than $350 a night anytime.  If you want to be on the beach, check out the Beach Terrace Inn Carlsbad.  It's more casual, but the rooms are nice and you can't beat the location.  It does not have room service, but a nice breakfast comes with the room and there are lots of restaurants that are walkable and many have take out for the kids if you want to feed them before going out.  It's also near the train station so if you want to take the train to Disneyland or San Diego, it's easy.  My son and his wife stayed their on their wedding night.

Other resorts in the San Diego area that come to mind include L'Auberge Del Mar, which is a beautiful luxury resort in the best part of Del Mar.  It has everything you want and may push the $350 per night window.

Moving toward Downtown San Diego, there are two places I would recommend in La Jolla.  La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club is right on the beach and it has great children's programs in the summer.  There are three excellent restaurants on or adjacent to it and many more a short drive or

cab ride.  My favorite hotel in La Jolla is the La Valencia Hotel, which is  not a result but a great hotel in a great location.  It has good restaurants, room service, a great pool and is walkable to the La Jolla Cove and all the La Jolla Village.  You will press the $350 barrier, but it will be worth it.

Although not a luxury resort, Paradise Point Resort & Spa on San Diego Bay is a great place for a family vacation.  They have suites and villas that will accommodate a family, a good restaurant, multiple pools, boat rentals and a narrow beach on the bay surrounding much of the resort.  Limited Room service.

Coronado Island has some excellent resorts.  The first is the 100+ year old Hotel Del Coronado, which is very expensive and quite crowded with visitors during the day.  However, it is right on a very wide beach, has a good pool and good restaurants.  I actually prefer the Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa, which has a killer location, with a small beach and parks walking distance away, a good pool, great views back at downtown San Diego, an adequate restaurant onsite, and is walking distance to several good restaurants.  Downtown San Diego is a short drive, taxi or ferry ride.  Also on Coronado is the Loews Coronado Bay Resort.  It is a self-contained resort some distance from anything else.