Cameron

San Diego

Best family neighborhoods in San Diego?

My brother and his wife have been considering moving to San Diego from Oregon. They have two young children and want know where the best areas are for families?

Will from London, United Kingdom

Windansea Beach in La Jolla is lovely if you can afford it

1. Windansea Beach (attraction)
  2. La Jolla (attraction)

John from Carlsbad (California)

Carlsbad (California) is a great family town 30 minutes north of downtown San Diego.

1. Carlsbad (California) (city)

Matt from Santa Monica

Scripps Ranch and Poway are great communities for families with children. They have good public schools, reasonable cost of living and are close to all kinds of outdoor activities. Hikes nearby, 25 mins to the beach, etc... I moved to Mission Beach in San Diego when I was 25yo and have a number of friends who were born and raised in Scripps and Poway. They raved about their hometown and community and have gone on to become very successful people. Hope this help!! -Matt

1. Scripps Ranch (neighborhood)
  2. Poway (city)

Katherine from San Diego

Most of San Diego is family friendly.  I think the most important factor in considering where to live is the rating of the schools in the area.  Neighborhoods with good schools are Del Mar, CCarmel ValleyPowayEncinitas, and Carlsbad (California).

1. Del Mar (city)
  2. Carmel Valley (neighborhood)
  3. Poway (city)
  4. Encinitas (city)
  5. Carlsbad (California) (city)

Jorge from San Diego

Hello Cameron,

I've lived in San Diego since 2001 with the exception of one year when I moved my young family to Toronto, Canada. Though Toronto is an awesome city, family-friendly areas are in pockets. I consider San Diego to be the opposite: a family-oriented group of cities (almost all of it, with some exception pockets like parts of downtown SD). The "best areas" for a young family, therefore, come down to work commute, living costs, schools, other personal preferences.

Of course, this is one person's opinion. I'd advice your friends to consider renting a home for their first year in San Diego in order to identify neighborhoods that best match them.

Here's a link to Top Ten neighborhoods in San Diego based on several criteria***:  http://www.liveclassy.com/toptens/toptens.php

Stay classy, San Diego !!

Jorge

*** - I'm not affiliated to this website, I think it offers very good information on some SD neighborhoods.