Stephanie

San Diego, Coronado

Beachfront hotel for a girls weekend?

I'm going to San Diego in early fall for a girls weekend. We are looking for a great hotel/resort right on the beach, and we are willing to splurge a bit! We've heard that Hotel del Coronado is one of the best, but wondering if there are other great options that we haven't looked into. Thanks!

Gail from Madison

I don't think the Hotel Del Coronado is worth the money.  It's very easy to get to Coronado--and you should go if you have time.  It is a beautiful beach--with flecks of gold all along shore.  You can walk through the hotel for free and stop at the outdoor terrace for a cocktail.

My advice would take you to Paradise Point Resort & Spa @ Mission Bay.  There are cottages, various kinds of rooms--total San Diego!  Pricey, but worth it.  Many of the units are on the beach.  

If you're 20 something--you surely have to check out Pacific Beach (PB).  Anyway, have a wonderful time!!  

1. Hotel Del Coronado (hotel)
  2. Paradise Point Resort & Spa (hotel)
  3. Pacific Beach (neighborhood)

Kyle from San Diego

Here are a few options:

La Valencia Hotel - La Jolla is more of an upscale community with lots of boutiques right around.

Hotel del Coronado - Beautiful and historic hotel. Usually a healthy amount of families though.

Tower23 - Right in the middle of Pacific Beach, which has a classic Southern California vibe.

There's plenty more out there, of course. When searching, I'd try to stick to these neighborhoods:

I'd also check out Airbnb or Vrbo for houses that you can rent in those neighborhoods. Gives you a little more freedom and a de facto "home base". May be more money initially, but if you do this and cook a few meals in you could end up saving in the long run. There's tons of great homes in the Pacific Beach and Mission Beach area.

1. La Valencia Hotel (hotel)
  2. Hotel del Coronado (hotel)
  3. Tower23 (hotel)
  4. Pacific Beach (neighborhood)
  5. Carlsbad (California) (city)
  6. Solana Beach (city)
  7. Del Mar (city)
  8. La Jolla (city)
  9. Cardiff by the Sea (city)
  10. Mission Beach (attraction)

Haley from Arizona

There's not a ton of beachfront hotels as there are places/condos to rent in San Diego. Definitely check out vrbo.com for some listings!

Denis from San Diego

Hi.  Hotel Del Coronado is very nostalgic but also very pricey.  If you want to be close to downtown San Diego and the Gaslamp District,  I would recommend the Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego or the San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina on San Diego Bay.   If you want to get more of the laid back beach community of Mission Beach or Pacific Beach,  I would recommend the Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa.  you can also go to VRBO and rent a house right on the beach.   If you have a specific place in mind, just let me know and I will scout it out for you cuz I live very close to the beach.

Denis

1. Hotel Del Coronado (hotel)
  2. Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego (hotel)
  3. San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina (hotel)
  4. Mission Beach (attraction)
  5. Pacific Beach (neighborhood)
  6. Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa (attraction)