Valerie

San Antonio

What's the best neighborhood in San Antonio for a first time visitor?

I've never been to San Antonio and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what San Antonio is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

sandy from San Antonio

If you have never been to SA I would stay down at the The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio or Hilton Palacio del Rio or San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk.  The Riverwalk is beautiful, lots to see as the Alamo Plaza and El Mercado Snack Bar Mexico Shopping plaza is also nearby. Must eat at a San Antonio institution Mi Tierra Cafe y Panaderia right next to the Mercado. It is not far (20 min) to excellent shopping at La Cantera & Loop 1604 w Access R which is also next door to Six Flags Fiesta Texas.  I have lived here all my life so let me know if you have more questions!

1. The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio (hotel)
  2. Hilton Palacio del Rio (hotel)
  3. San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk (hotel)
  4. Alamo Plaza (attraction)
  5. El Mercado Snack Bar (restaurant)
  6. Mi Tierra Cafe y Panaderia (restaurant)
  7. La Cantera & Loop 1604 w Access R (attraction)
  8. Six Flags Fiesta Texas (attraction)

Sam from San Antonio

I would stay in the downtown area near the River Walk Street.

1. River Walk Street (attraction)

Becky from San Antonio

The Historical District downtown.. You call get a walking tour.

My company is based in San Antonio so I've probably stayed in every hotel on the riverwalk. If you are wanting to be near there, my favorites are Hilton Palacio del Rio-newly redone in the last few years, very Texas feel. Make sure to check out the small exhibit on how the hotel was built-each room was put in place like blocks.  Very neat!  Also a big fan of the trendy, industrial feel of Hotel Valencia Riverwalk-plus the best Mexican food on the riverwalk is located inside (Acenar).  For extra room, but not sacrificing in luxury-try Hotel Contessa.  Another nice suite style option is the newer Embassy Suites (excellent restaurant here too-Luke).  Lastly, if you can afford, go all-out for the Mokara Hotel & Spa.

If you are looking for some quite, sun or excellent spas-try the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa (best massage I've ever had)-it also has a TPC golf course.  The Hyatt Hill Country Golf Club is a staple, and has added lots of fun things to do besides the lazy river-including the surf wave!  However, summer-time here tends to be lots of familys, so I wouldn't recommend if you are looking for quite!  Lastly, the La Cantera Hill Country Resort is a great option as well!