Melissa asked

Are there large mountains to drive through slc to salem Or

I am wanting to drive our family from SLC to Salem Oregon in March or April of this year. I am not familiar with the drive and want to know if there are mountain ranges that I will have to drive through to get there. Not a big fan of the possibility of driving in snow and needing chains. What's the safest less mountainous route?

Salt Lake City (Utah) Salem (Oregon)

sham from Oregon
You pretty much are going to have to to go over mountains at some point because we are in a valley. My suggestion would be Reno to Klamath Falls (Oregon) then cut over to Oakridge and follow I-5 Hwy up. It's less winding less traffic.

1. Reno (city)
  2. Klamath Falls (Oregon) (city)
  3. Oakridge (city)
David from Spanish Fork, Utah

There is not a way to avoid mountains when driving from Salt Lake City to Salem. If you go in April there is a good chance that you won't hit snow through some of the passes. I would stick with the freeways they plow these more frequently then the two lane highways.

1. Salt Lake City (city)
  2. Salem (city)