Romulo
Uberlandia

Romulo from Uberlandia asked

Rome to Pisa by train, straight or via Florence ?

Hello, on 30/04 i'm starting an eurotrip, starting from Rome. On 03/05 i'm planning to go to Pisa, and inserting the route in google maps, it shows 2 ways, one from 4h3m (duration) by the coast and one from 2h28m via Florence. Anyway I would like to visit Florence, but could this ride by the coast be a better choice, because of landscape or something like that? Or should I choose the one via Florence?

Rome   Pisa   Florence   Italy

alessandro from Asciano

Ciao Romulo

Better to catch a train for Rome to Florence, easily and comfortably. Yes from Florence to Pisa again you can take a train, 1 hour and half  but Pisa is not the top for me. For the landscape is better to stay in the countryside and drive by car.

Anyway have a nice time in Italy

Regards, Alessandro

3. Pisa (city)
John from Carlsbad (California)

While you will get some sea views on the route up the coast, there is a lot to see between Rome and Florence.   If you have some time, you could make one or more stops and see some of Umbria and Tuscany on the way.  OrvietoCortona, Perugia, Assisi, and Arezzo are all possible stops available by train.  I agree that Pisa can be seen in one day, but you can also visit Siena easily from Florence, and the Cinque Terre is a short hop from Pisa.

Romulo
Thanks for the suggestions. I liked really much the "Cinque Terre" and had already read about it, but this exactly image made me want to know it a little more. By "on the way" between Rome and Florence you mean leaving the train? Because I won't be with the rail pass, i'm just buying it in advance in low prices and long distances i'll make by the air.

John
I meant traveling between the cities mentioned by train by train. The fares are very cheap between the cities I mentioned without a pass. Take a look at raileurope.com.br, and you can check the fares and schedules easily and buy your tickets if you want to. Travel between the cities I mentioned will be about 10 to 20 euros for each trip.

3. Umbria (attraction)
  4. Tuscany (state)
  5. Orvieto (city)
  6. Cortona (attraction)
  7. Perugia (city)
  8. Assisi (city)
  9. Arezzo (city)
  10. Pisa (city)
  11. Siena (city)
  12. Cinque Terre (hotel)
lily from San Francisco

The one straight to Province of Florence. Pisa is less authentic than other cities, if your goal is to take a picture near the leaning tower - I wouldn't spend the night there.  We took a train to Florence, and stopped in Pisa for about 3 hours - plenty of time for a quick picture.

Romulo
Nice, and had you did Florence-Pisa by train too or had you bought the tour in Florence? I'm not finding how to reserve the train trough trenitalia.com. But think that this one has no problems to leave without reservations right? As it's near and i think there a lot of options in the day.

1. Province of Florence (metro area)
  2. Pisa (city)

I'd see Province of Florence!! Amazing city! What are you doing in Pisa? There's not much there!

1. Province of Florence (metro area)