Grant

Rome

Rome for a week- any great restaurants and off the beaten path places?

Hey everybody,

Going to be in rome for a week with my fiancee in about 3 weeks. Never been and am super excited!

Wondering if anybody has input on some things.

We are staying near the spanish steps and plan on hitting the obvious sights (forum/circus/pantheon/trevi/vatican) I am planning half of a day for colosseum/forum and a full day for vatican. How much time should I factor in to see the heavy hitters?   

Good restaurants that arent tourist traps (have been reading that alot of restaurants in the central part of the city are mediocre and overpriced) We love italian food! 

Cool little "off of the beaten path" gems that would be a change of pace from the hustle.

Potential overnight trip. I am thinking about going down to the amalfi coast for a night and maybe catching pompeii for a few hours on the drive back up the following day. Also considering capri. I know the typical dilemma is that there is too much awesomeness and not enough time! Would this be a stretch to do this? I think it would be amazing, but we get in tuesday morning and leave very early on the following monday. Am thinking maybe going thursday to amalfi coming back friday (which leaves us saturday and sunday back in rome)

Please let me know and thanks in advance! 

Kelly from Rome

Hi Grant,

It sounds like you have a great trip planned! I will try and answer most of your questions.

I could list tons of great restaurants that are not tourist traps in Rome, but it might be easier for you to use a trusted app called Eat Italy, which includes loads of the best restaurants in Rome and that I still use regularly even after having lived here for over a decade.

As far as seeing big sights like the Roman Forum/Colosseum, you might plan to spend half the day there and then leave the other half open. If you are worn out you can rest, enjoy a park or cafe or visit some other sights if you have the energy. Not booking too much in one day will allow you to relax and enjoy Italian life more!

The Amalfi coast, Naples and Pompeii are all amazing places that will blow you away! If you do plan on taking this trip, you might plan to leave early in the morning and take the high speed Italo train or Trenitalia Frecciarossa train (very affordable if booked in advance) and then hop on a boat to Capri and stay the night. Then you could have breakfast there and take the boat back to Naples and take the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii for the day (I highly recommend hiring a guide, it will improve your experience 100+ %).

Then that evening you could take the high speed train back to Rome or stay the night in Naples and head back early the next day. (the train between Rome and Naples only takes 1 hour). Driving may prove to be more of a hassle than it's worth for things like parking, etc. 

This is my opinion based on my experience of living here and traveling to all of these places. If you would like more specific details I am more than happy to answer more questions- just reply to this comment.

Have an awesome trip and enjoy!

2. Roman Forum (attraction)
  3. Colosseum (attraction)
  4. Naples (attraction)
  5. Pompeii (city)

Olivia from Philadelphia

I have been to Italy several times and lived there for a short period. Your location is great for the typical tourist attractions. The Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and Spanish Steps are very close to each other so you can knock out those sites of the list quick. Near the Pantheon is Giolitti, the famous gelateria, which I highly suggest. Also, I Dolci di Nonna Vincenza has incredible Italian pastries; I suggest their cannoli! 

The scenic area you should visit taking the #4 tram from Piazza Venezia is called Trastevere. It is one the most romantic neighborhoods I have ever visited. One of my favorite restaurants in that area is Grazia Graziella. Make sure to order the lasagna because it is absolutely incredible. 

The Amalfi Coast is amazing. Pompei is definitely less than a day trip. However, Capri would take up most of your day. Make sure to take a boat service to the island and tour around the it! You can swim in the blue grotto, it's gorgeous. Also go to Anacapri which is the top of the mountain on the island. There is a lift that can take you to the top. Since you're giving yourself a night to stay over you could do both in one day. Oh, and try the limoncello in Capri (it's what the island is known for)!!

1. Italy (country)
  2. Giolitti (attraction)
  3. I Dolci di Nonna Vincenza (restaurant)
  4. Trastevere (neighborhood)
  5. Grazia Graziella (restaurant)
  6. Pompei (attraction)
  7. Capri (city)

Miriam from Seattle

Wake up early and go to the market at Campo de' Fiori. You can sample great olive oils and browse through all the great vendors! You have to do a food tour with the Eating Italy Food Tour. They're great, i'm sure you both will love it. 

1. Campo de' Fiori (attraction)