Katharina
Hong Kong

Rome

Where to live in Rome

My boyfriend and I will be moving from Hong Kong to Rome end of this year. We are a young couple who loves to live close to where things are happening (great dining scene, lovely boutiques and lively streets). As this is more for a long-term stay we don't necessarily need to stay very close to any of the important sights.

I have only been to Rome once and probably haven't seen even half of it and so, I am curious to read your ideas and suggestions.
If you are a Rome expert, Rome lover or regular visitor please let me know your thoughts on trendy neighbourhoods and liveable areas. Thank you!

Smantha from Ecuador

I have two suggestions for you with pros and cons,i have tried my best to give you appropriate answers.

Roma Trastevere: It is one the best place for Young expats.It has good atmosphere and being part of historic center. For every place there are pros and cons.

►Pros: Wonderful restaurants and bars on every corner, picturesque and inspiring visually, very central, a mecca for expats.

►Cons: Noisy and overrun with students at night, you might hear more English on the streets than Italian, very difficult to find parking, restricted traffic at certain hours, no Metro nearby, apartments are generally small and expensive.

Testaccio

Testaccio was once one of Rome’s working-class districts, and was famous for its slaughter house, which has now been turned into a modern art museum. It also have some pros and cons

►Pros: Less expensive than Trastevere , not touristy, great nightlife, in walking distance of Trastevere.

►Cons: Not as picturesque as other areas of the center, loud at night near nightclubs (Via Monte di Testaccio), not close to Metro.

1. Roma Trastevere (attraction)
  2. Testaccio (attraction)

Steph from Rome

Hi Cath,  

I live in Rome since 2000.. For me the best area to lives in Rome is "quartiere Trieste" near Piazza Fiume. It's a rich, elegant and residential area and you'd have all you need.. metro (b1/annibaliano), bus from city centre, shops, markets, schools and Villa Ada, one of the bigger park.. Trastevere is a touristic zone, a nightmare for living.. Too noise and impossible park car! Testacciois a bad zone, good only for night club! Another zone to live could be "prati" or "flaminio" around auditorium.. If you need anything else ask me! ;) bye Steph

1. Piazza Fiume (attraction)
  2. Villa Ada (attraction)
  3. Trastevere (neighborhood)
  4. Testaccio (attraction)