Sajid
Dubai

Rome, Italy

What other countries near Rome can we visit?

I planed to go to Rome in December for 15 days. Since I have never been to Europe, I don't know which other nearby countries or cities I should travel to? I don't intend to visit all of Europe in one trip. So my question is that I wanted to the know the easiest and best option to visit places nearby Rome, Italy ? Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Hi Sajid,

Italy is an amazing and beautiful country with LOTS of worthwhile places to see in 15 days. Here are my recommendations:

Bergamo the little city is beautiful in its own right but there are great ski resorts an hour north of Bergamo and Comer See is 40 minutes west.

Florence  Bologna  Siena and Lucca all within an hour or two of each other.

Venice Verona and Padova Stay in Venice and travel to Verona and  Padua on day trips.

The whole provence of Puglia is great but it rains a lot in December.

If you want to see other countries Austria especially Vienna is a great Winter city, as is Prague in Czech Republic

1. Bergamo (city)
  2. Comer See (city)
  4. Bologna (city)
  5. Siena (metro area)
  6. Lucca (city)
  8. Verona (city)
  9. Padova (city)
  10. Puglia (state)
  11. Austria (country)
  12. Vienna (city)
  13. Prague (city)
  14. Czech Republic (country)

Sara from Florence

Hello Sajid,

Rome takes enough time to visit, trust me! But it is a good idea to try to move somewhere else to get a better taste of Italy. There are many other destinations, and also those less turistic that truly deserve attention!

If you don't want to go far you can surely visit Castel GandolfoCalcataSubiaco,  Labro, or try an afternoon visit to the Lake Bolsena. These are just a few, there are so many things to see in Lazio! 

1. Castel Gandolfo (city)
  2. Calcata (city)
  3. Subiaco (city)
  4. Labro (city)
  5. Lake Bolsena (attraction)

Steve

I stayed in Rome a few years back with My Family. We stayed a few stops out of downtown. Which was nice to experience how the areas outside the tourist areas live. Some good parks and Restaraunts. 

As to countries nearby. I have been to Switzerland and France which border Italy. Switzerland was very nice. I went to Basil which had nice museums, churches and the Zoo was very good. If You like coffee, Tchibo is a chain like Starbucks, only better in my opinion. Zurich was also nice, beautiful scenery with the lake and mountains. You can take the water taxi's. Again more churches and interesting museums. There seemed to be a thriving night life here as well. It was a Family vacation so I didn't get out to experience it first hand. There was a very nice festival there as well during my stay.  

France is also a border country that is nice. Straussberg has a great Catherdral, shopping area, there are very interesting areas to walk about in older parts of town, good food, canals. Paris is a bit farther. But easily reached by over night train. Which looks more expensive, but You are saving a night in a hotel. Plus you get your travel time taken care of at night while Your sleeping. So You don't lose any sight seeing time. Germany also isn't to far. But with current conditions in Europe. I would check the status of the destination You wish to visit. Munich is nice, but a friend from there said that the main train station is filled with peoples coming through currently and crime is more of a proublem there now. Along with current events in the region. It would be a good idea to research the status of potential destinations.

Angelica from Rome

1. Barcelona (city)
  3. Amsterdam (city)

Krista from San Francisco

Hi Sajid,

Rome is a great place to visit as it's central in Italy and located within a short flight of many other great destinations. For European flights, you can often fly out of the Ciampino airport. Much smaller than Fiumicino, you'll avoid much chaos.

I recommend:

• Barcelona 
  • Amsterdam
  • London
  • Dublin
  • Budapest

RyanAir and EasyJet often have low priced flights -- particularly if you're willing to travel during an offseason and plan well in advance.

Nars from Boston

Italy has tons of great places see:

Naples - best pizza

Capri - gorgeous island

Rome

Vatican City

Pompei

Florence

Leaning Tower of Pisa (optional)

Venice 

Milan

If you want to go outside, I would consider Switzerland

You can take a train between all these points.

1. Naples (city)
  2. Capri (city)
  4. Vatican City (city)
  5. Pompei (attraction)
  7. Leaning Tower of Pisa (attraction)
  9. Milan (city)
  10. Switzerland (country)

Ruben from Leuven, Belgium

Amy from Cambridge, Massachusetts

Others have suggested great places to visit staying in Italy. And training from Rome to France to Switzerland is also s good idea. I suggest Rome, Florence, Venice and then Croatia for someplace different.

2. France (country)
  3. Switzerland (country)
  6. Croatia (country)