Shaun

Rome

What are the best main attractions in Rome?

I am planning on visiting Rome, can anybody can tell me what the best main attractions of the city are?

My must-see places are: PantheonTrevi Fountain

The ColosseoThe Spanish StepsThe Vatican Museums

Villa Borghese  Try to spend some time walking around the city.....buy a gelato in Piazza Navona Have dinner in Trastevere There is so much to see that it might be worth doing a walking (or segway) tour. Rome is a wonderful city, full of character. Have a great time!

1. Pantheon (attraction)
  2. Trevi Fountain (attraction)
  3. Colosseo (attraction)
  4. Spanish Steps (attraction)
  5. Vatican Museums (attraction)
  6. Villa Borghese (attraction)
  7. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  8. Trastevere (neighborhood)

Villa Borghese for sure. Get ready for huge crowds at the vatican, even in the off season. I felt like a salmon swimming upstream.

1. Villa Borghese (attraction)

Megan from West Roxbury, Massachusetts

I would recommend the Pantheon, Colosseum, Villa Borghese. The Villa Borghese was one of my favorites. Definitely get there early as it obviously gets crowded. There are tons of famous sculptures by Bernini including my favorite Apollo and Daphne. I also loved Piazza Navona which is very close to the Pantheon so you could easily do both. Thankfully the Pantheon is free as well (gotta love free things!). I personally would skip the Spanish Steps. Don't get me wrong it was pretty but prepare to be heckled like crazy! I had so many random peddlers constantly bothering me and trying to put things in my hands even when shaking my head and saying no. One even forced a rose into my hand and ended up cutting me due to the thorns. It was a pretty picture but not worth it in my opinion. There are far more beautiful places to go in Rome. 

1. Pantheon (attraction)
  2. Colosseum (attraction)
  3. Villa Borghese (attraction)
  4. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  5. Spanish Steps (attraction)

Steve

One thing I didn't see on other lists was Ostia Antica outside Rome. There were also some interesting parks on the outskirts of town just filled with history. Catacombs were very interesting to Me. There is so much to see in Rome. So much of it is interesting. I had no bad food experiences there. Ordering food is differnt there. You order each individual item for the meal a lot of the time. There were many, many interesting squares and sections of town. There were so many interesting places to see. But Waundering from place to place and discovering off the beaten track places was half the fun for me. Ostia Anica could take the most part of the day. It is similar to Pompeii in some aspects. It was a old section of town where, if I remember right? The River changed coarse over centuries and it found itself to far from the River to be a port city and it died out over time. Good Luck with Your trip.

1. Ostia Antica (city)

One of my favorite places in Rome and one I don't yet see listed here is the Roman Forum. It's near the Colosseo, so you can easily visit both in a day. Just an incredible space. Great for photographers and historians.

1. Roman Forum (attraction)
  2. Colosseo (attraction)