Lisa
Petaluma

Lisa from Petaluma asked

Transportation from Rome to Florence via Orvieto

We're planning to take the train from Rome to Florence. I'd love to see Orvieto; how hard would it be to take the train from Rome to Orvieto and then from Orvieto to Florence in one day? There are 10 of us, so another option we're exploring is getting a driver, but 10 people puts us in a mini-bus (I'm open to driver suggestions if anyone has any). Suggestions?

Rome   Florence   Orvieto

Alex from London

Lisa, I am a huge fan of travelling in Italy via train. The rail system is quick and reliable, and the connections from Rome and Florence are excellent. Plus you avoid the horrid in/out traffic of cities.

It is absolutely viable to do a day stop in Orvieto especially if you are willing to start your day early. There are regular intercity trains from Roma Termini to Orvieto which should take just over an hour and cost around 10EUR. 

Once you arrive at the Funicolare di Orvieto (Orvieto Rail Station) you can walk (take a bus) to the nearby funicular that takes visitors up the hill, to the old town. Alternatively, you can get a taxi at the station... although I like the funicular :) 

Remember also to check out the town's tourist card which gives discounted access to museum etc. It Should be on sale at the train station, look for Carta Orvieto (I think).

When you decide that you have had enough of sightseeing, just pop back down on the funicular, to the train station and catch another regular intercity to Florence (Firenze) which should take about 90mins and cost around 20EUR.

The rail website for Trenitalia has an English option http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=4ddd1a035296f310VgnVCM1000005817f90aRCRD&gclid=CLelpZarpb8CFeyWtAodcB8AlA which will make it easy for you to check prices and times as well as buy/print tickets. There may be discounts for groups and also for advanced booking, though make sure to confirm your ticket is either time assigned OR flexible for any train time during a certain day. One thing to note is that the search will only work with the cities' Italian names so search for Stazione Roma Termini (Rome Main Station), Orvieto (unchanged) and Firenze Tutte Le Stazioni (Florence all stations, albeit you will likely use Stazione Firenze Santa Maria Novella).

Enjoy stunning Da Gianni... and just in case you might enjoy the read, here is a piece on my blog that includes the town as my top choices in Umbria http://www.aforkinlondon.com/post/73207590396/umbria

Lisa
Alex, do you know if the train runs on Sundays? The web site gives me a "travel solution can't be found" no matter what hour I use. Or am I just planning too far in advance (May 2015)? Also, does anyone know if there is somewhere to leave luggage at the Orvieto train station?

Alex
It will run on Sunday, perhaps less regularly than on a weekday but it will run :) You are definitely checking too far in advance. Try next year closer to date, two months prior at the earliest. Unless there is a major strike transport in Italy is very reliable! If you are unsure, just take a look at the kinds of schedules that are out this month, it won't vary much so you can get an idea to plan expectations. Do note that the smaller towns will have many businesses shut on a Sunday so you might find Orvieto less lively...

Alex
Most Italian stations have luggage drop-off services, although, again, I am not sure it it would be open on a Sunday.

Alex
Just fyi, if travelling with a large group and luggage, you might consider a day trip to Orvieto via Rome during the week. This way you are more flexible on luggage storage (it remains in Rome) and also on the day of the visit. You can then travel to Florence from Rome directly on a sunday, it takes 1.5hrs on the fast train and the service between major cities is super regular (every 30mins or so) even on a sunday. All in all this arrangement may take up an extra hour (the return trip from Orvieto to Rome) in the whole itinerary. I have travelled on day trips from Rome to Umbria and Tuscany and it is totally and comfortably doable... fact is, Orvieto isn't in the direct route between Rome and Florence so you don't save too much time by visiting the locations sequentially. Hope this helps!

3. Funicolare di Orvieto (attraction)
  4. Stazione Roma Termini (attraction)
  5. Stazione Firenze Santa Maria Novella (attraction)
  6. Da Gianni (attraction)
Paolo from Foggia, Italy

Hi Lisa, 

there are several trains from Rome to Da Gianni and from Orvieto to Florence as well.. So, don't worry :)

2. Da Gianni (attraction)