Stanley
Butte

Rome

Top free things to do in Rome?

Will be in Rome for a few days and can't spend too much. What are the best free things to do in the city? I'm open to it all.

Krista from San Francisco

Hi Stanley,

Rome is enormous with so many free things to see and do - no doubt the Trippy community has lots of suggestions. Here are a few of my faves from time spent in the Eternal City:

Enjoy your trip! :)

1. Villa Doria Pamphilj (attraction)
  2. Villa Borghese (attraction)
  3. Piazza di Spagna (attraction)
  4. Corso Street (attraction)
  5. Trevi Fountain (attraction)
  6. Piazza Venezia (city)
  7. Capitoline Hill (attraction)
  8. Monte Mario (attraction)
  9. Circus Maximus (attraction)
  10. Roman Forum (attraction)
  11. Palatine Hill (attraction)
  12. Chiostro del Bramante (attraction)
  13. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  14. Campo de' Fiori (attraction)
  15. Dell'Acqua Paola Fountain (attraction)

Rome is full of beautiful parks and green spaces, mostly free and full of amazing historical treasures from ruins to statues. It's also full of churches which are also free.

While I saw all the major tourist attractions including the paid ones, I spend my days in Rome walking. You can easily walk all over the city and you'll discover beautiful places on your own, from tiny churches, to historical buildings and amazing bridges.

Look up your location on a map app and zoom in to see what's near you and just explore.

Antoine from Ħal Balzan, Malta

The answers here are excellent and I think I'll take note of them! If you're looking for an interesting walk around one of the most interesting neighborhoods in Rome, try my recommendation for a walk around the periphery of "Rione II Trevi" which is one of the most interesting parts of the city - http://www.unexpectedtraveller.com/Blog/rione-ii-trevi/

1. Rione II Trevi (neighborhood)

teresa

There are at least 300 churches in Rome, in many there are works by famous artists:
The works of Caravaggio: in the Basilica Parrocchiale Santa Maria del Popolo for the Conversion of St. Paul and the Conversion of San Pietro, continue to Ripetta Palace passing between the Mausoleum of Augustus and the Ara Pacis to the Church of Saint Augustine and then get to the Church of San Luigi dei Francesi to the triptych of the 'Calling of St. Matthew', the 'Martyrdom of St. Matthew' and 'St. Matthew and the Angel'. 

1. Basilica Parrocchiale Santa Maria del Popolo (attraction)
  2. Ripetta Palace (hotel)
  3. Mausoleum of Augustus (attraction)
  4. Ara Pacis (attraction)
  5. Church of Saint Augustine (attraction)
  6. San Luigi dei Francesi (attraction)