Beverly
San Luis Obispo

Rome

Rome eats?

Rome is one of the cities that I'll be stopping off in during my Italy trip next year and I want to check out as much of the local food as I can! I want to try authentic pasta, gelato, pastries and all that.  Any suggestions?

Rachel from Los Angeles

Dal Bolognese is literally the best pasta restaurant in Rome! My husband dies for their entire menu. Not to mention, it's so chic and you'll always see one or two celebs.

1. Dal Bolognese (restaurant)

Trevor from Los Angeles

For gelato you've got to go to  Gelateria Del Teatro. I honestly think about this place at least once a week and it will be the first place I visit the next time I'm in Rome.

The shop is located on a beautiful and quintessential Roman street (seriously, it looks like a movie set) which really sets the tone for an authentic gelato experience. 

When I was there I spent an hour with Gelateria del Teatro's owner, pastry chef, and gelato maker, Stefano Marcotulli. In his broken english he told me all about his gelato making process -- how he constantly changes the flavors, uses only the freshest, all natural, in season ingredients and sources them from where in Italy they are grown best at that time of year. I sampled a bunch of flavors and one of my favorites was the rosemary honey lemon! Stefano also makes great bite-sized pastries, so make sure to order a few of those too. 

The store, the pastry, and the gelato are Stefano's pride and joy. He was so happy and excited to share his creations with me and he couldn't contain his smile when I said how amazing everything was (he is a humble guy). 

I wrote about Gelateria del Teatro on my blog and you can read more here

1. Gelateria Del Teatro (restaurant)

A dear friend of mine is from Rome and lives there still, so I'll tell you where she told me to go when I was there.  I didn't get to all of her recommendations, but what I tried was amazing.  She knows her food.

For dining...

1. Felice Atestaccio Trattoria serves typical Roman food:  "This is my favorite, but you must book as it’s always full. You'll find it at Via Mastro Giorgio 29; 00153 Rome.

2. You can taste the classical “Carbonara”  at La Carbonara  There's a nice variety of wines and Italian champagne - great ambience.

3.  For pizza, Romans love the Da Baffetto just a few blocks from the Piazza Navona.  Unfortunately the tourists know about it and lines can wrap around the block.  But it's amazing.

4.  For a special lunch, go to the Filetti di Baccalà at Largo dei Librari 88.  Tel 06-6864018

For Tea, you'll find Babington's Tea Room on the left corner at the bottom of the Spanish Steps.  It's pricy, but good.

For Ice Cream (gelato)...

1.  Il Gelato di San Crispino  Piazza della Maddalena 3, Via della Panetteria 42
2.  Gelateria Della Palma  Via della Maddalena 19
3.  Giolitti - Via Uffici del Vicario 40

For coffee, try:

1.  Sant'Eustachio Il Caffè  -  Piazza Sant’Eustachio 82
2.  Tazza D'Oro  - Via degli Orfani 84

1. La Carbonara (restaurant)
  2. Da Baffetto (restaurant)
  3. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  4. Filetti di Baccalà (restaurant)
  5. Babington's Tea Room (attraction)
  6. Spanish Steps (attraction)
  7. Il Gelato di San Crispino (restaurant)
  8. Gelateria Della Palma (restaurant)
  9. Giolitti (restaurant)
  10. Sant'Eustachio Il Caffè (restaurant)
  11. Tazza D'Oro (restaurant)

Shauna from Santa Monica, California

Giolitti is the oldest ice cream shop in Rome & in my opinion, calorie for calorie the best splurge you can make!!! And if you're looking for some adventure Italiano style, try one of their more rare varieties such as champagne, cassata siciliana, ricotta, marsala custard and rice.

1. Giolitti (restaurant)

Kelly from Rome

There are loads of great places to eat, snack, etc. if you know where to go! You may be interested in getting Katie Parla's app for where to eat in Rome- there are loads of great recommendations from a local (I have lived here for 11 years and still use her app). Eating well is one of the best things to do while visiting, enjoy!