Kaman
Hong Kong

Rome

Relaxation in Rome. What are the hidden gems in the city?

I'm going to Italy for 16 days, starting my trip in Venice ending in Rome. After 2 weeks of traveling, it's going to be quite tiring, so i don't want to do crazy sightseeings in Rome. Which are the must sees and are there any relaxing areas (hidden gems in the city)?? Thanks.

Celeste from California

If you'll be going during peak season, you can avoid crowds by looking into night tours at some of the major monuments! I know the Colosseo and Vatican City both offer evening/night tours which means fewer crowds and thus a much more enjoyable experience! Definitely take the time to experience both of those monuments, they're beyond incredible to see. I'd also recommend seeing the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps in the evening/at night versus during the day because of less crowds, but also because I personally think they are more beautiful at that time when they are lit up. You can very easily go out for an amazing meal in the area and stop by either monument on your way back to your hotel/hostel! As far as hidden gems, I discovered Travestere on my last visit which is just a short walk away from Piazza Venezia and the Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II. Trastevere seemed to be a well kept secret while I was visiting, as there were no crowds and it felt much more like I was experiencing a normal slice of Italian life. There are plenty of restaurants to be found there and even a small, gorgeous basilica if you feel like popping in. Hope this helps!

1. Colosseo (attraction)
  2. Vatican City (attraction)
  3. Trevi Fountain (attraction)
  4. Spanish Steps (attraction)
  5. Travestere (attraction)
  6. Piazza Venezia (city)
  7. Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II (city)

Explore. I found some really special areas that weren't on tourist maps just by walking and allowing myself to get lost a bit. Get to know your own neighborhood near your hotel/apartment and see what squares and cafes are close by.

If you look at a map of Rome,  you'll find tons of green, meaning that Rome is full of beautiful garden spaces where you can sit and relax and just enjoy people watching.

If you brave the crowds of the Spanish Steps and get to the top, you'll have beautiful views of the city from the narrow path above. It follows the bottom edge of the gardens surrounding the Villa Borghese and there, you can walk through immense gardens, or sit and relax on a bench. The path leads eventually to the Piazza del Popolo which is a less crowded open square with good restaurants nearby.

Another nice square is the Piazza Navona. It's large and crowded, very touristy, but beautiful and there are plenty of places to grab a coffee or lunch and relax in the beautiful space.

I loved the Roman Forum as well. It is a large open area and there are places to sit. With the history there, it may be the perfect spot to relax and soak up the atmosphere.

If you love cats, head to the Largo di Torre Argentina, an old ruin with intense history and a colony of friendly felines.

1. Spanish Steps (attraction)
  2. Villa Borghese (attraction)
  3. Piazza del Popolo (attraction)
  4. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  5. Roman Forum (attraction)
  6. Largo di Torre Argentina (attraction)