Michele
Yuba City

Rome

Off the beaten path in Rome

We plan to visit Rome in May, 2015 and we have three days there. Besides the main attraction, what are some "off the beaten track" gems that you have discovered? Restaurants, shops, churches, etc. Also, in your opinion, what tourist attractions are worthy of skipping?

Travis from Kamloops

Like others have said, three days is a decent amount of time for a whirlwind trip around the eternal city. Thankfully, it's pretty easy to throw in some lesser-known sites as there's just so many of them. I'm sure you don't want to get too far out into the neighbourhoods, so I will just suggest some near the main sites.

Assuming you are going to make your way to the Colosseum and Roman Forum (which are amazing and a must-see), you could easily add in the nearby St. Clement Basilica (Basilico San Clemente), which while stunningly beautiful in its own right, is built upon a 4th century church which is above a 1st century home/temple which is above a 1st century AD set of buildings. It's very cool to make your way down through different buildings from different eras. 

If you make the walk down the Via Veneto (from La Dolce Vita), take a diversion away from the expensive cafes and shops into the Santa Maria della Consolazione and see the unreal Capuchin Crypts. The crypts contain the skeletal remains of more than 3700 bodies organized into somewhat artistic displays - definitely a unique experience. 

I wrote about these two in a blog post if you want to see some photos - http://haveblogwilltravel.org/three-lesser-known-attractions-in-rome

Besides these two suggestions, you could take an early morning walk through the Campo dè Fiori market, or catch some shade in the Borghese Gardens.

Rome is an amazing city - the world famous sites (the Colosseum, the Vatican Museums, the Pantheon, etc.) are famous for a reason - they are some of the most amazing things to see in the world. I'm sure you will have a blast. If you want some good resources on how to plan out your time check out these sites

http://www.rome.info/itineraries/

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/rome/705671#sthash.TKFQ0bEI.dpbs

1. Colosseum (attraction)
  2. Roman Forum (attraction)
  3. St. Clement Basilica (attraction)
  4. Via Veneto (attraction)
  5. Santa Maria della Consolazione (attraction)
  6. Campo dè Fiori (attraction)

andriy

I recommend to visit The Papal Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore. No organized tourist groups, just magnificent architecture, sacred icons and sculptures of Bernini. Not far from the main railway station Stazione Roma Termini.

Also visit Basilica di Santa Maria in Cosmedin, beautiful Byzantine church. Skip the line to La Bocca della Verita (the Mouth of Truth) known from Roman Holiday movie, go directly to the church.

Also the beautiful and very compact piazza di Quattro Fontane Snc (the Four Fountains square) and the street of the same name with number of outstanding  baroque churchess.

Bon voyage!

1. The Papal Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore (attraction)
  2. Stazione Roma Termini (attraction)
  3. Basilica di Santa Maria in Cosmedin (attraction)
  4. Mouth of Truth (attraction)
  5. Quattro Fontane Snc (attraction)

Mire from Asuncion

Hi, in Rome you should enter in those tiny restaurants that sell pizza by the slice (they are the best), you should also try the icecream, they are really good. Santa Maria in Aracoeli Basilica this is a great church to see, and in the building that is next to the basilica you can go up in a glass elevator into a terrace and see all Rome from there.

1. Santa Maria in Aracoeli Basilica (attraction)

Staci from Cleveland

I agree with Jaleh's answer. I only had three days in Rome when I visited last July and it was action packed. I mainly focused on the main tourist destinations: ColosseumRoman ForumTrevi FountainVatican CityVatican Museums. I wouldn't be devastated if I didn't see the Spanish Steps again just because it is jam packed with sitting people. It is a good place to grab some gelato and relax though.

If you want to go into St. Peter's Basilica, make sure you get there early in the day or see if you can purchase tickets in advance. If you're there on a weekend, be aware you can't take a tour on Sunday. The line gets terribly long throughout the afternoon. 

I found the best way around the city was signing up with a tour bus. These buses have stops at or near all the major tourist attractions. I believe we paid 24 Euros for 48 hours. I recommend City Sightseeing! 

Here's my blog post on how we did Rome in three days. Check it out for some more info! Even thought the city is crawling with tourists, it is a blast. I loved the mix of modern city and ancient history. Sigh. Enjoy your trip! 

PS - The gladiators outside the Colosseum don't take pictures for free. But the pictures sure do give you a good story! 

1. Colosseum (attraction)
  2. Roman Forum (attraction)
  3. Trevi Fountain (attraction)
  4. Vatican City (city)
  5. Vatican Museums (attraction)
  6. Spanish Steps (attraction)
  7. St. Peter's Basilica (attraction)

Jaleh from Baltimore

My first recommendation to people is to always grab your Colosseum ticket at the Roman Forum Your ticket gets you into both locations, and the lines are much shorter at the Forum. After walking through this location, you can cross the street and see the Colosseum without waiting in a super long line. Other locations that I thought were worth visiting were Basilica Papale San Paolo fuori le MuraEataly Roma, and Piazza Navona. If you go to Navona, Frigidarium is the best place to get gelato! Testaccio is an area that I don't love to go out in because of all the clubs, but there are many amazing places to each around there, as well as Trastevere. The only thing that I found to be completely overrated about the city  were the Spanish Steps. Good Luck!

1. Colosseum (attraction)
  2. Roman Forum (attraction)
  3. Basilica Papale San Paolo fuori le Mura (attraction)
  4. Eataly Roma (attraction)
  5. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  6. Frigidarium (attraction)
  7. Testaccio (attraction)
  8. Trastevere (neighborhood)
  9. Spanish Steps (attraction)

My favorite place to just sit and "be" in Rome was Piazza Navona.  Ironically, my husband visited Rome prior to meeting me and said he felt exactly the same.

You can also google  the Bernini walking tour of Rome.  Highly entertaining and some great fountains that are off the radar!

1. Piazza Navona (attraction)