rich
Athens, GA

rich from Athens, GA asked

Must sees between Florence and Rome?

I am flying into Florence in a few weeks and then flying out of Rome 11 days later.  Any suggestions on must sees along the way or suggestions on modes of travel.  Will I need to rent a car our will trains and buses be a better option.  

Rome   Florence   Italy

Chris from On The Road

Hi

I was traveling by hitchhiking, so i can say that is possible way of travel in Italy. About Florence is really my favourite city in whole Italy. Uffizi Gallery and Fiume Arno in the night, Piazzale Michelangelo is really worth to see at night and during the day.

Wow, I need to make it to Florence! Been to Italy before, but not Florence yet! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :)

2. Uffizi Gallery (attraction)
  3. Fiume Arno (attraction)
  4. Piazzale Michelangelo (attraction)
Filippo from Italy

Hi first of all I suggest you to spend at least 4 days in Florence you can get to Pisa in a daily trip by train is very easy and Pisa is very small. From Florence you can go to Greve In Chiantinice small town where you can taste one of the best Tuscan wine after that you can go to Siena a city of sublime beauty and charm Gothic. Montepulciano is another nice town, nice wine and beautiful lookouts. Then spend the rest of your holiday in Rome. Rome is very big city you will need at least 3 day for visiting the famous spots... I hope you will enjoy your stay in Italy...CIAO...

Cheak this post about florence:http://www.thehig.org/florence/

2. Pisa (city)
  3. Greve In Chianti (city)
  4. Siena (city)
  5. Montepulciano (city)
Jaleh from Baltimore

The trains in Italy are actually very efficient and will get you to most major cities. In Rome, Italy, my favorite spots are Piazza NavonaRoman Forum, and Basilica Papale San Paolo fuori le Mura. The city is fairly accessibly by metro, and if that doesn't get you everywhere, the buses should. I've spent much less time in Florence, but the Uffizi Gallery and Gallery of The Academy are both must-sees for art lovers. Most people recommend buying tickets beforehand, but if you're traveling in the fall/winter and are willing to get up early, you can save yourself all of those additional charges and just be one of the first people in line! A car would be recommended for travel around the Tuscany area in general, but if you're just seeing Florence, it is a very walkable city!

1. Rome, Italy (attraction)
  2. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  3. Roman Forum (attraction)
  4. Basilica Papale San Paolo fuori le Mura (attraction)
  6. Uffizi Gallery (attraction)
  7. Gallery of The Academy (attraction)
Staci from Cleveland

Travel by train! I wish the United States had a train system like Europe. I traveled across Italy for three weeks and our main form of travel was train and it was pretty seamless. Advice: Be sure to stamp your ticket when you have to switch trains at stations. If you don't stamp it, you will get fined on the train. 

Are you looking to go further south of Rome? If so, I highly recommend the Amalfi Coast. You can visit AmalfiPositanoRavello and Capri, Italy with ease. You either take a quick boat ride or bus ride and you're there. In Capri, visit the Blue Grotto and Monte Solaro.

If you're not going to go south of Rome, I recommend going to Tuscany as well. Radda in Chianti is a small Tuscan town with stunning views of the countryside. We stayed at My One Hotel Radda and had a great experience. Expect a lot of R&R here. You're kind of in the middle of nowhere.

In Florence make sure to go to the crowded Ponte VecchioCaffè Ponte Vecchio has delicious chocolate gelato that you must stop in and see. Plus, there is free wifi here in case you're in need. The street artists here are one of a kind and you will stop and stare. Florence Cathedral is a showstopper. Plus, the food in Florence is to die for. 

Check out my blog for some more information on Rome, Florence, Amalfi Coast and Italy in general! Please feel free to reach out with any other questions, too. 

rich
How long does it take to get from the Amalfi coast to Rome? Do you happen to know if there is any good diving on the coast of Italy.

Staci
So I took a train from Amalfi to Rome and it took about 2 hours or so if I remember correctly? I can't comment on the driving because we did not rent a car and cruise the coast. The roads, at least on the Amalfi Coast, are quite terrifying. It's all cliff side. It's beautiful, but I wouldn't feel comfortable driving them not being from the area and knowing the roads.

1. Amalfi Coast (attraction)
  2. Amalfi (city)
  3. Positano (city)
  4. Ravello (city)
  5. Capri, Italy (attraction)
  6. Blue Grotto (attraction)
  7. Monte Solaro (attraction)
  8. Tuscany (state)
  9. Radda in Chianti (city)
  10. My One Hotel Radda (hotel)
  12. Ponte Vecchio (attraction)
  13. Caffè Ponte Vecchio (restaurant)
  14. Florence Cathedral (attraction)
Brett from Eindhoven

Have to agree on the Siena answer. One of the most beautiful cities in Italy, and near the top of my to-do list.  Nearby is also Montalcino, well known for its wines.

If you want to explore the Tuscan countryside, I'd definitely suggest a car, as many of the small villages aren't necessarily well connected via public transport, and some of the best finds may be just driving around until you see a small town on a hill, or a sign for a nearby winery or agriturismo. Just be sure to take it easy on the wine tasting :-)

Closer to Florence, you also have Pisa and Lucca which make for a nice day trip.

1. Siena (city)
  2. Montalcino (city)
  3. Pisa (city)
  4. Lucca (city)
Michael from New Jersey

See the Tuscany country side, the wineries are wonderful. Siena is a must stop city.

Sounds lovely, Michael! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :)

Michael
and thanks for the map info

1. Tuscany (state)
  2. Siena (city)
Damian from Rosario

Hi!...

In Europe it is advisable to move by train.

Visit here: Trippy: Florence - Rome

Good Trip!

Damian.

Melissa from Massachusetts

SIENA SIENA SIENA.

Also Monteriggioni and San Gimignano.

But really Siena.

1. Monteriggioni (city)
  2. San Gimignano (city)
  3. Siena (city)

One suggestion - spend more time in Florence than Rome if you can -- Florence is amazing! Also, if you want to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Pisa it's a quick, relatively cheap, train ride away. 

3. Leaning Tower of Pisa (attraction)