Yusuf
Cairo, Egypt

Rome, Amsterdam, Venice, Barcelona

I need help planning a 10 days trip to Europe in September

I am planning to visit Italy for 3 days ( 2 days Rome and 1 day Venice) then to Spain ( 3 days in Barcelona) then to Holland ( 3 days in Amsterdam). What do you think? Is it good enough to explore the cities I am going to? Or do you suggest any changes/a whole different plan?

Rachael

Hey Yusef, 

I went to Rome and thought is was pretty cool. It's a massive city, however, and may require 3 days to get around. The Roman Forum and Colosseo are large enough to occupy a single day. And no trip to Rome is complete without going to Vatican City. Walking between the sites is a great way to stumble around some cool hidden gems. I have yet to go to Venice, but if you have time, I always recommend going to Florence. You can fit in a day, but it has the great Statue of David, and some of the best food I had in Italy. 

Barcelona is lots of fun! Make sure to check out Basílica de la Sagrada Família. It should be doable to get Barcelona from Italy - may I recommend stopping along the Cinque Terre if you have time? It would add days to your trip, but it's absolutely stunning. 

How do you plan to get to Holland? Amsterdam may be a bit farther away than you want to go, and you should add at least a day for travel time for each new country you want to go to if you go there by train. 

1. Roman Forum (attraction)
  2. Colosseo (attraction)
  3. Vatican City (attraction)
  5. Basílica de la Sagrada Família (attraction)
  6. Cinque Terre (hotel)

Janelle from Charleston

I'd skip Venice.  2 days isn't close to being enough time to see Rome, and adding the extra day would help you get much more out of your experience.  If you try to do too much in too little time you'll create unnecessary stress on your holiday and come home thinking that you missed out on a lot of stuff you'd have liked to see.

Shauna from Vancouver

I'd take off one day from Amsterdam and add it onto Rome. I've stayed in Rome for over a week and still felt like I barely scratched the surface. Venice is doable in one day. Also, you'd be very tired from spending so much time travelling between cities, it's better if you can cut down one city or use overnight as travelling time.

Karin from Meerssen

i havent been to italy but Barcelona is a very big city. 3 days seems short especially if you want to see some tourist attractions. buy tickets online for stuff cause there is limited space for certain things (parque guell & basilica for instance) also use the subway to get around. Amsterdam is doable in 3 days. visit the rijksmuseum and van gogh museum if you like art. (buying a seasonal museum pass is cheaper than both tickets individually) amsterdam is good by foot or tram. 

Christopher from San Francisco

Well, how flexible are you with that question? That feels like a lot of traveling over a short period; 4 cities, each of which could deserve 5 days. There's so much one could do in each of those locations. If I were you, I'd pick two. I've done a trip where I split my time between Rome and Venice and it was nearly perfect -- great contrast in vibe and intensity (and weather) between the two. I'm not pushing for any one of your four cities, but would recommend staying in fewer places, longer.

Michael from New Jersey

Watch Rome. Make sure the trash is cleaned up. No one is picking up now and I heard on the news today that the city smells really bad. With no plan to fix the problem