Shrirang
Pune

Rome

How long does one need to see Rome for the first time?

I plan to visit Rome with family. We have lived in Europe before and like to see places at our pace. How many days should I reserve for Rome assuming that I am going there for the first time?

I had 5 days in Rome and though I saw all the tourists sites and was able to enjoy many long walks and delicious meals, I would have loved to have at least a week, but preferably two.

I'll spare you the detail of my Berlin answer, but get a good guide book, study it, and decide what's most important. We walked a lot which added to our time, but also gave us a better feel for the city itself. The distances between things in Rome can be long. I felt that it was bigger with so much more to see than many other European cities that I know.

Truly I'd want two weeks, but think 10 days minimum would give you a nice overview at a relaxed pace so that you can really enjoy the beauty of Rome.  If you have time, get outside the city too.  We loved Tarquinia and there are many other little towns just outside of Rome that are truly delightful.

1. Tarquinia (city)

Daniel from Watford

My wife and I visited Rome for the first time over the summer and we spent four nights there. It's the kind of place that you could spend much longer in as there is so much to see, but we felt this was the perfect length to get around to all the main sites and buildings without feeling rushed. 

Just to give you an idea of how we spent our time:

Day 1: We arrived around lunch time, checked into our hotel, then spent the afternoon doing an open top bus tour which was great for getting our bearings and seeing all the main sites on the first day. We had dinner in a street restaurant from which we could see the  Colosseum - just amazing!

Day 2: We did a tour of the Colosseum and  Roman Forum which was great for skipping the lines and getting a good helping of history to go with it. We also sat on the  Spanish Steps and ate pizza and gelato by the  Trevi Fountain. The nearby  Piazza del Popolo is fantastic as well, just don't accept flowers from anyone, they will hound you for money!

Day 3: We took the train out to Ostia Antica, an ancient Roman city that you can walk through and explore with much more freedom than the more famous Pompeii. It is only half an hour out of the city and well worth a visit. Later in the day we went to see the  Pantheon and walked to  Piazza Navona where there was lots of street entertainment that the kids will love.

Day 4: We did a tour of the  Vatican Museums which also took in the Sistine Chapel and St Peter's Basilica. The kids might find this to be a bit boring but if you can do it, it's fascinating.  We spent the rest of the day revisiting our favourite places again. 

We found that by the end of the four days we felt we had seen all the main places and a few smaller ones (that you will stumble across just walking around). We would definitely go back but it was perfect for our first visit!

1. Colosseum (attraction)
  2. Roman Forum (attraction)
  3. Spanish Steps (attraction)
  4. Trevi Fountain (attraction)
  5. Piazza del Popolo (attraction)
  6. Pantheon (attraction)
  7. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  8. Vatican Museums (attraction)

Victoria from Riga

Shrirang, give it good 5 days with carefully thought-out plan which places you really want to see if you can't give it a month).

Then plan your accommodation's location based on those places of interest of yours.

Me too, I always choose to see several most important things at a solid pace rather then see everything in a rush without really enjoying each and everyone of them.

Agnese from Milan

Actually i think around 4-5 days if you really like visiting museum and stuff like that! But the best part, is not Rome, but the area around Rome, near the coastline (Gaeta)

2. Gaeta (city)

Keith from Charlottesville

3 days, minimum. The best of Rome is discovered in wandering around with no particularly itinerary.

Kristen from New York City

I would suggest about 4-5 days at least.  There are a few spots that require you to get up pretty early if you don't want to spend the whole day in line waiting for things. (ie: the Vatican, climbing St. Peters, seeing the Sistine Chapel, Colloseum, etc).  Also, Rome has so many different areas that deserve an entire day to wander and see.  There are great restaurants in Trestevere area and wonderful gems around every corner! Some I suggest are:  Roma SparitaGusto

1. Roma Sparita (restaurant)
  2. Gusto (restaurant)

Carolina from Sao Paulo

3 days at least!