Deepak
India

Rome, Florence

How expensive is Rome and Florence?

I am planning to visit Rome and Florence for 8-10 days during the summer and am confused about the amount of money I should be budgeting for the trip. I have accommodation taken care of in terms of airbnb. What is worrying me is about the cash needed for other things such as traveling in the city, food and entrance to the museums and other historical sites. I heard sit down and eating can be quite expensive so I guess I might have to grab and go? Anyway, I will be traveling by myself and wanted to know how much I should set aside. I do not want to be on a shoestring budget. I like my occasional local nightlife as well. 

Margherita from Fucecchio

Hi Deepak. It's true, Florence can be incredibly expensive, but it depends on how much you are savvy.

For example, if you want to eat out, avoid sitting the main squares of the city (Piazza della Signoria or Piazza del Duomo), even for a coffee or a simple pizza. You just pay for the view!! Good Restaurants can cost you 30-40 €, but sometimes they can be worthy. Just be sure you do not pay more than 1 € for a coffee, 7 € for a pizza and 25 € for a one course and dessert meal. During the night every pub is fine, but remember you can pay 3-4 € for a beer and 8-10 € for a cocktail in a cool bar. Piazza Santa Croce is a great place to go out in the night.

1. Piazza della Signoria (attraction)
  2. Piazza del Duomo (attraction)
  3. Piazza Santa Croce (attraction)

Ewa from Gdansk

Rome is indeed quite expensive, though there are ways to save some money. For eating, I would recommend looking for pizzerias in the little streets around the centre and especially in the Trastevere part of the city - you get pizza cut in squares for really decent money and it's delicious. Another idea is going for aperitivo, where you pay for your drink and can eat as much as you want - that usually starts around 6pm in many bars. As for nightlife - the prices are similar to Western Europe e.g. Paris. There are many free sites but Colosseum or the Vatican Gardens are expensive - depends how much time you have and how much you're ready to spend, but I'd say that Rome has so much to offer that it's ok to skip these. 

Juliet from London

These cities can be expensive, but if you're smart then you needn't spend too much. Avoid tourist menus as they are a rip off.

Advice mainly for Rome (where I used to live):

Getting out of the historic centre for dinner is a very good idea - in Rome restaurants like Formula 1 in San Lorenzo are fantastic, local and cheap. For really good local food there are plenty of affordable places in Testaccio e.g. Osteria della Birra. Wine is amazing value in Rome. Buy a carafe and enjoy! For great food recommendations use Katie Parla's food blog, she even has a great app. My favourite place for gelato is Il Gelato Di Claudio Torcè.

Museum entrances can be more affordable than some places. If you're planning on going to lots of museums it's worth looking in the Roma Pass as this includes 48 hours of free transport. Vatican Museums is the most expensive at €16 (and not included in the Roma pass) book ahead online to avoid the queue. I recommend going to the Vatican just after lunch (2pm) as this is the quietest time. For tour discounts use Touriocity.

Hope that helps!

1. Formula 1 (restaurant)
  2. Osteria della Birra (restaurant)
  3. Il Gelato Di Claudio Torcè (restaurant)

Zara from Sofia

Both Rome and Florence are on average cheaper than London, for example. I mean, you would pay less there for the same quality of food, service, hotels, sopping, etc. Also, I hope by "how much money I should put aside" you don't mean you are actually planning to carry cash for 10 days with you. Credit cards are accepted in all nice restaurants and hotels, they are not even supposed to accept payments of more than 1000 euro in cash, there are ATM machines everywhere + beware of pick-pockets (like in any large city). So, much better to take your cards and not more than 1-2 K in cash and budget your expenses on the go. For some museums, like the Ufizi in Florence, you need to buy your ticket online in advance as the number of visitors per day is limited. So, google the places you are planning to visit before you leave to save time there and avoid disappointments.

Allison

You could get a good pizza or pasta dish for average 7-13 euros at a restaurant, if you go further away from the main tourist piazzas the food will likely be better and cheaper (This goes for gelato,too!) You could grab-n-go paninis for as low as $4, but it really depends on where you are. Ask the locals for tips on good lunch spots that are not too pricey. Museum costs vary, but you should be able to check those online!

Jessica from Wyckoff, New Jersey

Look into getting a 2 day Florence pass- about 70 euro but it will get you into all the must-see places. In Florence, you won't have to worry about transportation because you can walk everywhere. Look into Florence for Fun for day trip wine tours around 30-50 euro to check out Tuscany. Many restaurants have something called aperitivo from 7-9 pm where you buy a drink or glass of wine for 7 euro and get an all you can eat buffet. The size and variety of food depends on where you choose but its a great option for a low cost dinner. 

2. Tuscany (state)

Salvatore from Naples, Italy

I advice you to consider €100 per day, enjoy your trip!

David from Birmingham, United Kingdom

Florence seemed to be twice the price (food, drinks) of nearby towns like Siena. No getting away from it, it's pricey. Rome on the other hand I've found quite reasonable.You're not expected to tip at restaurants (though there might be a cover charge on the bill - it'll be mentioned on the menu).

At cafes you pay more to sit inside, less to sit outside, and less still to stand up. Lots of the locals will stand at the bar to drink a coffee.

Most museums will charge, many churches won't. You can often get deals on museum entry that give you access to several museums and sites. Usually worth it.

2. Siena (city)

Vall from Rome

Hi Deepak, you have choosen the most expensive cities of Italy, so you have considered about 60-70 euros for a day if you want to visit this cities in the best way... 

Roma from Brooklyn, New York

Try airbnb.com to get good deal on rooms. Food is expensive. I would say if you have 2000 EURO should be good enough for 10 days

Alessia from Florence

2. Piazzale Michelangelo (attraction)
  3. Oltrarno (neighborhood)
  4. Twice Club Firenze (attraction)
  5. Naima Srl (restaurant)
  6. Negroni (restaurant)
  7. Flo' Lounge Bar (restaurant)

Clara from Pisa, Italy

Ciao Deepak, I know very well Roma.

The advice first of all is to find accommodation in a B & B or hostel that are cheaper than hotels and you can find cute and comfortable solutions. You'll spend in low season (January, February, August, November and December) at around € 35,00 per day and high around € 50,00 per day. You can eat very well at any price, just be careful with the menu displayed outside of the restaurants. However, there are many pizzerias where with about € 10,00 food is good. To visit museums or other is always good to book on-line in high season for not doing file.

about € 1000.00 per week is more than sufficient !! 

Ciao