Keith
Denver

Keith from Denver asked

Hidden gems attractions and restaurants in Rome

My wife and I will have 5 days to explore Rome on our own.  Besides the major attractions, we'd love to visit some off-the-beaten-path/hidden gem attractions and restaurants as well.  Anyone have any favorites?

Rome   Italy

Victoria from Riga

Here are my personal secret gems that I found in Rome this year:

1. Little cafe Cristalli Di Zucchero - just off the tourist path when you are visiting Colosseum, right next to Circus Maximus. They have no tables, you either take away or eat standing like locals do. They make amazing home-made gelato during spring/summer season. And their sweets and little snacks are amazing. I hightly recommend taking a glass of Prosecco with one of those freshly made things they made that day.

2. For the best carpaccio go to Il Belli (via Giuseppe Gioacchino Belli 33/35). It is across the river.

3. Obviously most famous gelato place is GIOLITTI (via Uffici del Vicario 40). Not really a gem but with their hundreds of different flavors it is like new for me every time).

PS And yes, agree with previous comments, Florence is amazing.

Keith
These sound fantastic and we're definitely considering Florence. Thanks Victoria!

Rachel
You always give really good answers.

2. Cristalli Di Zucchero (restaurant)
  3. Colosseum (attraction)
  4. Circus Maximus (attraction)
  5. Il Belli (restaurant)
  6. GIOLITTI (restaurant)
Athena from New York City, NY

Try Filetti di Baccalà around Centro Storico. It is a small fried fish fillet joint that has been there for ages. You see a lot of locals lined up just to buy the freshly fried fish!

DMae
Wow! What are your interests? If you like churches, my idea is to enter ANY church that has its doors open. There are wonders in the most humble-looking churches. For eating - check our Katie Parla's web site. She tends to keep up with the most recent information on where to dine in Roma. (Just do an online search) For me, I tend to choose my dining according to where I plan to be that day. For example: if I am planning to be at the Vatican, I am not looking for a wonderful place on the opposite side of Rome. More questions? Just ask! DMae

Keith
My wife and I do love fish fillet. Never knew it was an Italian thing! Thanks, Athena! DMae, my wife and I are really open to anything. Seeing any attractions and trying any sorts of foods. Thanks!

1. Filetti di Baccalà (restaurant)
Inez from Rome

If you are looking for off-the-beaten-path experiences and hidden gem attractions in Rome, you should check out my startup BonAppetour (www.bonappetour.com).

It is an online platform where you could have "dine-with-locals" experiences. We have some of the most talented local hosts who are ready to invite you to their homes, for an amazing dining experience that will let you feel the true Italian hospitality.

Other than dining at local's homes, there are also some unique dining experiences- such as a scrumptious exquisite Italian feast on the rooftop where you could enjoy the beauty of the Roman skyline as the sun sets, to lunch on a boat as you sail on the Tiber River, or even a cooking class with one of our local hosts to truly master the art of Italian culinary.

This is definitely something not to be missed out if you are looking to have a memorable trip in Rome together with your wife!

Keith
Sounds great. Thanks, Inez!

1. Tiber River (attraction)
Veronica

Spend one day in Rome seeing everything you really want to see.  Then go spend the other four days in Florence.  They say 80% of the world's art is in Italy, and 60% of that art is in Florence.  So much to see and do there.  

Keith
Wow, Florence is that great, huh? I think that we'll definitely be city hopping then. Thank you Veronica!

Veronica
Keith, we are slow travelers. Florence at one time was the capital, and the castle is there Pitti Palace along with the Boboli Gardens (the only outdoor museum. Lots of churches to pop your head into. Don't do a one-day best of Florence. Go and stay a few days to really soak the culture that is Florence. There is even a syndrome "Stendahl Syndrome" a.k.a. Florence Syndrome that can occur when one is exposed to all the art in Florence. Also, many think the statue of David which is by the Uffizi is the real one--it isn't. It is housed in another building not far from the Duomo with other works of art that he never completed. There is a ton to see and do. Almost all of the food is good as they don't used canned anything. Look for the lines of the locals, then you know that is the place to eat. Our personal favorite is Trattoria Le Mossacce. Small restaurant, you will probably share a table with strangers, but the food is incredible. If you order steak, they will bring the meat out for you to inspect first. Enjoy!

Andrew from Downtown Los Angeles

Felice a Testaccio (feliceatestaccio.it) in the Piramide area of Rome. Odd pyramid sight to behold in Rome

Keith
Thank you Andrew!

1. Felice a Testaccio (restaurant)