Erica
Bakersfield

Rome, Venice

First trip to Italy, where should we stay in Rome and Venice?

Planing a trip in about 2 yrs to Rome and Venice and need help on where to stay and how long to stay in a hotel. Should we stick with 1 or more hotels as we will travel to other cities?

Nassim

The Aqua Palace Hotel is one of the most beautiful hotels i've been in. They have beautiful big rooms with views of the Grand Canal. It's nice and not very expensive. 

1. Aqua Palace Hotel (hotel)
  2. Grand Canal (attraction)

Russell from Columbia, South Carolina

In Venice, as others have said, walking is easy so location is not as important. But use Trip Advisor and/or Rick Steves for reviews and value. Everyone want the most for their money, therefore I would suggest smaller family run operations. They are typically friendlier and more helpful. And quite frequently WiFi is included whereas major chains tend to charge for Internet services. Rome can be a bit more challenging. Decide what sights are your must-dos and stay near them. With that in mind anywhere near Piazza Navonna or Campo Fiore is great. Also consider Trastevere. Definitely have a hotel in each city and if you plan to visit any of Tuscany or Southern Italy, change the legs of your journey and stay overnight in small towns too. A night in Sienna or Sorrento can be far more rewarding than an extra night in Rome. And don't be shy about phoning private hotels direct to negotiate prices if you plan on traveling in off peak times.

Laurel from Bardwell

My husband and I recently went to Venice and Rome for our honeymoon. In Venice we stayed at the Hotel Canal Grande and in Rome we stayed at the Hotel Napoleon. I researched several locations before making the final decision, and I'm very pleased with both places!!

1. Hotel Canal Grande (restaurant)
  2. Hotel Napoleon (hotel)

The Hotel Modigliani is a lovely, small hotel on a quiet street not far from the Via Veneto, Spanish steps and near transport to everywhere in Rome

Whenever we go to Venice we always stay at the Al Ponte Mocenigo just beside the San Stae vaporetto stop. It's charming and run by the wonderful Sondro and Walter who will really want you to have a great time and will give you lots of advice on hidden Venice, will book great local restaurants for you and will treat you as a long lost friend! You need to book well in advance. The last time we stayed there was February 2015 and had to book in August '14. Book the suite with the little balcony overlooking the canal, if you can. It's listed as a 2 star hotel but, believe me, I have stayed in less opulent 5 stars so don't let that put you off! The Italian grading system for hotels is based on criteria like (a) restaurant on site (b) lifts.....

1. Hotel Modigliani (hotel)
  4. Al Ponte Mocenigo (hotel)

Maria from Limassol

Hi! Today is our last night in Rome! We stay in a beautiful clean guest house called: Clemy In Rome. It is new and just one block next to the Colosseum. Cristian and his wife were very friendly with us! We felt like home! Best Value for money!  

We also spend 5 days in Venice. We stayed at the Rialto Hotel Venice-too expensive, I wouldn't do it again! But it worth the view! Spending only two days in Venice is good enough and much more in Rome!!! Also try a perfect restaurant near the "clemy in Rome" called Caffè Propaganda.

In Venice is a must to go to the history nature museum! Is excellent! 

Hope I helped you!

2. Clemy In Rome (hotel)
  3. Colosseum (attraction)
  5. Rialto Hotel Venice (hotel)
  6. Caffè Propaganda (restaurant)

Kylee from Iwakuni, Japan

We were just in Rome and stayed at the last minute guest house pratinn vatican. It's just a few blocks from the Vatican and the woman who runs it is very sweet. Just around the corner is a great restaurant called Jet Lag 64 Cafè and a metro stop is just blocks away. As stated above be cautious of pickpockets. My husband was almost pickpocketed by a group of very loud men coming up on us. Luckily, he was paying attention and as soon as he put his hand in his pocket the guys stopped talking and turned around!

1. last minute guest house pratinn vatican (hotel)
  2. Jet Lag 64 Cafè (restaurant)

Helen from Frosinone

If you can allow yourself a few days to do Rome then that's good. It's very hectic in the spring/summer (and HOT!) so if you have to come in that period, having plenty of time to see things at a leisurely (Italian) pace is a good idea. As for where to stay....my advice is, first of all, use tripadvisor to get an idea of quality etc, accommodation can cost a fortune and too often be disappointing in Rome. Personally, I recently stayed near Stazione Roma Termini (station) and not far from the very hip Monti part of Rome (think boutiques, funky art, trendy cafes,tiny bustling squares). It wasn't the most beautiful street in Rome but the accommodation was perfect for my budget-conscious situation. Yours may be 5 star in which case I would go for a big-name hotel to ensure a high standard & decent service. Otherwise try Art House B&B for a warm, friendly, comfortable & authentic welcome to the Eternal City.

2. Stazione Roma Termini (attraction)
  3. Monti (neighborhood)

Marie from Las Vegas

I've stayed a few places in Venice. I really like Hotel Pensione Guerrato which is above the Rialto Mercato. It's sort of in the middle of Venice so it's convenient to walk everywhere. Since it's near the Rialto Bridge you can walk to the other side of the Grand Canal easily. There is also a vaparetto stop so you can get here easily from the train station Stazione di Venezia Santa Lucia. It's also near a lot of the chicetti (spelling??) restaurants. If you get a chance, try the chicetti crawl offered through Walks of Italy. They offer several tours, which I've done. I also enjoyed the secret tour of the Doge's palace. 

For Rome, look at what you plan to do before picking a hotel. I've stayed near Campo de' Fiori which was easily walkable to Piazza Navona and Pantheon. This last time I stayed closer to Stazione Termini which was nice that it was near metro stops which I used quite a bit as well as the local bus to Vatican Vacation and other local neighborhoods for meals. 

Be sure to carry a money belt and watch your purse. Lots of pick pockets in Rome, especially on crowded buses and trains. Not trying to scare you, just be mindful.

1. Hotel Pensione Guerrato (hotel)
  2. Rialto Mercato (attraction)
  3. Rialto Bridge (attraction)
  4. Grand Canal (attraction)
  5. Stazione di Venezia Santa Lucia (attraction)
  6. Campo de' Fiori (attraction)
  7. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  8. Pantheon (attraction)
  9. Stazione Termini (attraction)
  10. Vatican Vacation (hotel)

buard from Nantes

In Venice, you can stay anywhere as it's small. you can walk from one point to an other, take the boat and visit islands (Murano Island, Burano). I rent an appartment which is very practical (homelidays, AirBnB, abritel...). you have to walk to the place you'll stay and take bridges (or boat if you are East area). you should stay there at least 3 or 4 days. If you drive there, you have to check where to park (before the isalnd I guess); the best way is to take the train that brings you right in the "city". For Rome, I did the same : rent to an Italian. If you choose something between Pantheon and the Colosseum, you'll also be close to the river, and be able to walk mainly everywhere.

1. Murano Island (attraction)
  2. Burano (island)
  4. Pantheon (attraction)
  5. Colosseum (attraction)

ronald from Pittsburgh,Pa

Just returned from Rome.  Stayed at the Hotel Genio.  Excellent property, 2 minutes to Piazza Navona, and 15 minute walk to Vatican City. Reasonably priced.

1. Hotel Genio (hotel)
  2. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  3. Vatican City (attraction)

Liv from Cape Cod

Well Rome is about 5-6 hours away from Venice so i think it would be best to have a hotel in each city. As for the rest of your trip, it depends where you are planning on going but yes, you should stick with a hotel in each city if you don't feel like driving back and forth. We stayed at Starhotels Metropole in Rome and thought it was a clean place. The staff was very friendly too. 

3. Starhotels Metropole (hotel)