Barbara
Cambridge (Massachusetts)

Rome

Different sightseeing from the usual tourist attractions in Rome?

I have been to Rome a few times already, this time I am there for a week in September and wanted to explore or do different or unusual places or activities. Would also like to know of restaurants I could go as a solo traveller. I am a "foodie" and didn't know if restaurants in Rome have bars to sit at to get dinner? 

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

A short walk from the Coliseum or the Forum, you'll find the St. Clement Basilica, a true oddity. At the surface, it's a classical, ornate 12th Century church, with fine art in the nave...but down one flight of stairs, you'll find yourself in 4th Century Rome, in a church dedicated to St. Clement, an early Pope. And then one more flight down, you're in 1st Century Rome, looking into a temple to the Pagan god Mithra, and walking along a buried street next to the foundation of a building from Nero's time. It's how Rome grew over the centuries: When a new property owner decided to build, he'd just have the old structures on the site filled in and build on top of them. Nowhere in Rome is this pattern more clearly visible. It's fascinating.

Christine from Auckland

I like to get up early in Rome and head out with my camera and see the city before it gets going. It's fascinating to see the maids clean out the pallazos and open all the windows, and you get glimpses into those worlds, and sometimes it's foggy and mystical and I like to walk past the Trevi Fountain and see them sweep out the coins and clean it and through Piazza Navona and see it without people and furniture and go over the Tiber and through the Vatican area and see the nuns and priests scuttling about and finally to St. Peter's Basilica where it is different every day. I once happened upon a day when there were dozens of brides and grooms and apparently if you have been recently married you can come to St. Peter's on this particular morning for a papal blessing. There was jostling for position and some of the brides looked quite aggressive...I got great shots. When the sun comes up and hits the terracotta of the buildings the colours are magic. For me, as I have been to Rome a few times, I now feel I can just relax and experience it, linger over coffee, have late afternoon Campari at the bar with barrels of oranges outside, and roam the backstreets where washing hangs between houses. And know I don't have to queue for the Vatican or avoid touts outside the coliseum. Enjoy it.

1. Trevi Fountain (attraction)
  2. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  3. St. Peter's Basilica (attraction)

Amanda from Sydney

Hi Barbara, 

One thing I wanted to do when there was visit Ostia Antica but we didn't get a chance, but perhaps you may have already done this. 

As for restaurants, I can't recall if these have bars to sit at, but we wrote an article on some of our favourite restaurants and casual eats in Rome

Some included Da Cesare and Roscioli , as well as Pizzarium for casual pizza eats :)

Have an amazing time in Rome!

1. Ostia Antica (city)
  2. Da Cesare (restaurant)
  3. Roscioli (restaurant)
  4. Pizzarium (restaurant)

Diana from Rome

Hi Barbara, 

A really cool visit is Le Domus Romane di Palazzo Valentini, a fascinating multimedia museum that brings to life the archaelogical ruins of Roman houses discovered beneath Palazzo Valentini. You might also be interested in visiting the Cripta Capuccini on Via Veneto and a museum that you'll likely have to yourself is Montemartini Museum on Via Ostiense. As for restaurants, most have no issues with solo travellers. There are a lot of great restaurants and depends on your budget. Some bars often have a small seating area and in September, it is probably still hot enough to dine al fresco. Have fun in Rome!

1. Palazzo Valentini (attraction)
  2. Cripta Capuccini (attraction)
  3. Montemartini Museum (attraction)