Nei
Curitiba, Brazil

Rome

Best way of public transportation around Rome?

Hi everyone,

I will be going to a trip in Italy, Milan,Slovenia,Veneza,Florence,Rome,Sorrento. Since it is cheaper to rent a car for longer periods I will be doing this cities by car with my girlfriend.

I am trying to soften the fact that we are staying with the car during the period ( 3 nights ) on each of these cities which is recommended to use public transport.

In Rome, I was considering staying outside the city, like Ibis Fiera which is 50 EUR + 6 EUR parking night. Since the Ibis is about 20km from the city I was considering go by car to a P+R Valle Aurelio by example.. leave the car there by 3 EUR and then go by metro to places..

What do you think about this? I need to save some money since my trip will be from 3/Oct. to 28/Oct.

Any comment is welcome!!!

Richard from Cape Town

Use the bus or trams! It is cheaper than any other form of transportation and you can see the sights as you go along. It isn't hard to navigate. During peak times, get off and walk. A city like Rome is a lot smaller than it seems. If you have a good pair of shoes you can walk from the Colosseum to the Pantheon in 20 minutes and you will see the most amazing sights in between.

1. Colosseum (attraction)
  2. Pantheon (attraction)

Christina from Dallas

You can definitely do that. Of course it would be more convenient to stay near a metro station inside the city, but staying outside is also not bad.

Exploring Rome works the best by walking. Everything is in walking distance and Rome is just way to beautiful to take the metro or bus all the time. Nevertheless public transportation is pretty cheap in Rome. 

To save money, you also have to pay attention not to eat at any places near tourist attractions and restaurants with english menu (especially if it has pictures on it).

Enjoy your stay, Rome is such a great city!

Megan from Ballymoney

you can buy a 3 day travel ticket for 16.50 euros, you can buy them at train stations or even in some  newsagents and coffee shops, and then you can use buses, subway, trams as much as you like. the subway, or metro system in rome is very easy to use :)

Isabella from Sao Paulo

Hi Nei. I used the subway everyday in Rome and it was just fine. It goes to the main sightseeing areas such as the historic center and museums. It was safe and cheap. You just have to pay attention to closing hours.