Shannon
South Carolina

Rome

Best way of getting around Rome and any good restaurant recommendations?

I'm looking up different restaurants in Rome and find that they are usually 20 minutes away from where we are staying. Florence seemed more of a walking city and everything is so close. What is the best way to get around? Bus? Cab? Uber? Also, restaurant recommendations, would be great! 

Rachelle

In Rome, walking is the best possible form of transportation! And, I agree, NEVER get into a taxi unless you have unlimited funds. Our fave "hidden gem" restaurant in Rome is Bar Del Fico Ristorante near Piazza Navonna. Apparently, it's been redone since we were there, and there's a bar, and then the annexed restaurant around the corner (under the fig (Fico) tree, I'm hoping). Brought a local there, she swore it was the best spaghetti in Rome. The mussels were wonderful as well.

1. Bar Del Fico Ristorante (restaurant)

Krista from San Francisco

Hi Shannon,

Rome is super walkable as it's flat and many destinations/monuments are packed together in close proximity. The tram and bus are also fairly easy to understand, as well as inexpensive. Never get into a taxi! 

For restaurants, try:

I listed a few other favorite places for food, sweets and sights here . Hope this helps! :)

1. Ristorante le Mani in Pasta (restaurant)
  2. Mò Mò Republic (restaurant)
  3. Pizzeria da Simone (restaurant)

Hi Shannon,

David is right, the city is gorgeous and a lot of Rome is walkable. There is a very decent Metro system too that covers the whole city. Buy a single ticket at the station  (or newsstands) for €1.50 - this allows 75mins travel. Daily tickets cost about €6.50 or the best value is probably the 3 day unlimited ticket for €16.50. All tickets cover bus and metro within Rome. My restaurant recommendation is Osteria Barberini (take the metro to Barberini or Spagna and walk from there) this is a family run restaurant, with local dishes and is very popular so book a week ahead if you can.

2. Osteria Barberini (restaurant)

David from Birmingham, United Kingdom

Walk. The city is gorgeous.

Dave from Houston

Al 34 is close to the Spanish Steps in Rome. They have a dish named Veal Stinko that is to die for. It is a large whole veal shank served with roasted potatoes. It is large enough to feed two or three people.

They have a way of infusing the potatoes with garlic and rosemary that makes them unbelievably good.  As you can see from the photo, the dish is spectacular with the large shin bone pointing skyward. The kitchen has already trimmed the meat from the bone and cut into bite size pieces for you.

We were there a year ago and I'm still thinking about that amazing dinner. It is also inexpensive when you share. This veal stinko is so good that it is almost a good reason to justify a trip to Rome.

1. Al 34 (restaurant)
  2. Spanish Steps (attraction)

Maria from Cagliari

Ciao! I suggest you to visit Rome in scooter. If you can't rent a scooter, you should go by bus. When I was in Rome I loved Da Giovanni restaurant, is cheap and the food is delicious.

1. Da Giovanni (restaurant)

Inez from Rome

Hi Shannon,

Where are you going to stay in Rome? To move around, I would suggest either using the metro or the taxis. UberPop / UberX has been banned in Italy, and the only available option is Uber Black which is much more expensive than taxis. Buses could be unreliable because they often change routes, and the announcement would be in Italian, making it difficult for travellers like us to understand.

For dining, would like to recommend checking out the website that I've created: www.bonappetour.com. What we've done is that we've handpicked some of the best talented home-cooks (YES! I'm a big time foodie myself), to open up their doors to host travellers for a lunch/ dinner. I honestly think there would be no better way to taste authentic local food than joining an Italian family for a meal. 

We have a range of dining experiences in Rome, starting from a Roman feast overlooking the Vatican, to culinary experience on a private rooftop garden, to lunch on a clubhouse overlooking the Tivere River. 

It's basically like an Airbnb/Uber for food. Do take a look at it and use the code TRIPPY for a 20% discount :)

Amy from Cambridge, Massachusetts

Walk!  It is fun and you will see hidden ruins and other sites that the guidebooks don't even mention.

Restaurants:  Trattoria Lilli - Via di Tor di Nona, 23, 00186 Roma, Italy (near the river near Navona)

Ristorante Tre Archi Da Loreto Di Loreto Rubei  (near Navona)

these places aren't over-the-top, just good food

Have fun. 

1. Trattoria Lilli (restaurant)
  2. Ristorante Tre Archi Da Loreto Di Loreto Rubei (restaurant)

Paige from Alexandria (Virginia)

If you're up for something a little different, you could try Scooterino , which is like Uber but for scooters. Call a driver and they show up with a helmet for you to take you where you need to go.

Jessica from Oregon

My husband and I went to Rome this last May and were worried about getting around the City as well. However we were pleasantly surprised that it is all walkable! Wear comfortable shoes but you absolutely must walk in order to get the best possible experience. 

The metro system is also very easy to figure out. There are only a couple of lines, A and B. They are super easy to navigate and make it simple to get to the different sites. 

Catherine from Santa Fe

Walking, walking, walking! The great thing about it is that you walk off all the wonderful food you'll eat! Rome truly is a walking city and with a bit of awareness and caution you will be safe day and night. We were just there in September and found numerous 'hole in the wall' places that were good, but these three stood out: Crispi 19 on Via Francesco Crispi, Rinaldi al Quirinale on Via Parma, Momma Vita Mia on Via Goito, as well as gelato at La Romana on Via XX Septembre, and Giolitti in Testaccio. SO good! Always look for gelato shops that have the cream in covered containers or are at least flat on top. The others that look mounded up are usually made from a powder and not the real thing (though can still taste good!). Buon viaggio!

John from Carlsbad (California)

I agree that walking is the best way to get around Rome.  We had our hotel call us a cab, and we still got a ride around the periphery a time or two before we got to our restaurant.  Then we took the bus, and witnessed a young women get on and try to pick the pocket of a man right in front of us.  Luckily, the wallet fell on the floor, the man stepped on it, and the young woman hopped off the bus.  We also rode the metro, but it wasn't very convenient to where we wanted to go much of the time.  Try to stay centrally and walk.