Hayley

Rome

Best tourist spots in Rome, Italy

I'd like to know the best places to visit, and locations of good restaurants.

Brett from Eindhoven

I'm a big fan of the Trastevere area of Rome, had some really good pizza at Pizzeria ai Marmithere on my first visit, and it's just down from the Piazza Giuseppe Garibaldi, which offers some of the best views over the whole city of Rome.

1. Pizzeria ai Marmi (restaurant)
  2. Piazza Giuseppe Garibaldi (attraction)

Scott from Fort Collins

Hi Hayley.  Much of it depends on how much time you have there.  So, here are the places I wouldn't miss on a visit to Rome.  Hopefully you have a few extra days to just relax a little too. The rail system in Rome is excellent, so I would use it for some of your longer excursions.  I really enjoyed walking as much as possible because you never know when you may stumble across a Piazza, where you can grab a quick bite, or just people watch.  Some of the ancient Roman sites are a must, like the Imperial ForumColosseum (I don't care how many time you see a picture of it, the visit is incredible), Arch of Constantine, and Roman Forum.  These are all very close to each other.  Some people enjoy a visit to the Spanish Steps, but I found that experience a little underwhelming.  It was fun to have to have a beer while curing my craving for McDonald's French fries right by the steps however.  ;). I would also encourage a visit to Palatine Hill, the Pantheon, and the Trevi Fountain.  I think it is also worth trying to see any Bernini works around Rome.  A great place to stop, eat, people watch and admire Bernini is Piazza Navona.  You also need to take time to appreciate and walk around the Tiber River.  I enjoyed this on my way back from Vatican City.  In Vatican City, I would certainly take a tour of the Vatican Museums and walk around Piazza San Pietro and St. Peter's Basilica.  You have to take in the Sistine Chapel as well.  I also really enjoyed a visit to the Borghese Gallery and Museum.  I'm not sure how much time you have, but my cousin and I took a long day trip down to Mount Vesuvius and Pompei.  If you are looking for a way to take up a day, I would highly recommend this.  Pompeii is fascinating!  Hope this helps and safe travels!

1. Imperial Forum (hotel)
  2. Colosseum (attraction)
  3. Arch of Constantine (attraction)
  4. Roman Forum (attraction)
  5. Spanish Steps (attraction)
  6. Palatine Hill (attraction)
  7. Pantheon (attraction)
  8. Trevi Fountain (attraction)
  9. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  10. Tiber River (attraction)
  11. Vatican City (attraction)
  12. Vatican Museums (attraction)
  13. Piazza San Pietro (attraction)
  14. St. Peter's Basilica (attraction)
  15. Sistine Chapel (city)
  16. Borghese Gallery and Museum (attraction)
  17. Mount Vesuvius (attraction)
  18. Pompei (attraction)

Stephen from Chiang Mai

Rome's a fantastic and vivid city. One of the reasons I love Rome so much is because it isn't as massive as you would think. So even just walking around the city you are bound to stumble upon some cool tourist sights. 

My three favorite sights in the city are Trevi Fountain,The Colosseum, and the Sistine Chapel

Of course the Colosseum is close to the Roman Forum, and Old Market place. You need to check this out as well. 

I wrote a guide to Rome if you are interested in checking it out. http://www.abackpackerstale.com/europe-travel-guides/italy-travel-tips/rome

1. Trevi Fountain (attraction)
  2. Sistine Chapel (city)
  3. Colosseum (attraction)
  4. Roman Forum (attraction)