Laura

Rome

Best non-touristy & authentic places to eat in Rome?

Looking for restaurant recommendations in Rome: non-touristy and authentic Italian, please! I will be there end of July with my boyfriend - no set budget, we're open to all suggestions!

Vall from Rome

Said - Antica Fabbrica del Cioccolato: great experience but high bill.

Felice a Testaccio: very tipical Roman cousine

1. Felice a Testaccio (restaurant)
  2. Said - Antica Fabbrica del Cioccolato (restaurant)

Elisa from Rome

I'm going to give you some food advices also in the touristic area where You should go for sightseeing.

In Via Dei Greci you can find Ami, where you can find street food, it's perfect for a quick lunch.
https://www.facebook.com/amiroma.it

In the afternoon have an ice-cream in Via Degli Uffici Del Vicario at Giolitti
http://www.giolitti.it/en

Walk through Piazza della Rotonda up to Portico d'Ottavia where you can have a delicious dinner at Ba'' Ghetto (i think reservation is required).
http://www.kosherinrome.it/kosher_portico_dottavia_57/home.htm

Refrigerate in the night with a grattachecca at Il Chiosco Di Sora Mirella kiosk near Ponte Cestio

I know, It's a long walk but I use to do it, It's beautiful!

1. Ami (restaurant)
  2. Giolitti (restaurant)
  3. Piazza della Rotonda (attraction)
  4. Portico d'Ottavia (attraction)
  5. Ba'' Ghetto (restaurant)
  6. Il Chiosco Di Sora Mirella (restaurant)
  7. Ponte Cestio (attraction)

Andrew from Downtown Los Angeles

One piece of advice I like to give is to walk past any restaurant that has a "Turistico" Menu. Usually this will be displayed, maybe in English.  

To accomplish this, make sure to research the differences between Ristorante and Trattoria.  (Trattoria is the cheaper one)  

Then make sure also to walk 50 feet or so down an alley. Check out if there's places to eat there. We've found great places by literally walking off the beaten path.

Steph from Rome

The best restaurant in Rome is Del Frate.You can drink best wine and eat high quality italian food! Don't forget to taste the espresso tiramisù! 

Ps it's a little bit expensive but its really exclusive! I'm Italian trust to me !

1. Del Frate (restaurant)

Mary Ann from La Jolla

Check out elizabethminchilliinrome.com.  She lives in Monti neighborhood with architect husband with a weekend house in Todi.  Arranges and conducts foodie tours and is a wonderful writer and blogger and has terrific restaurant apps for Rome, Venice and Florence.

DMae from Fairbanks

I would refer you to some nice blogs on food in Rome. There are always interesting, fun, and typical restaurants off the beaten path. These are some I refer to when I am traveling in Rome:

Katie Parla

Eleonora Baldwin

Elizabeth Minchilli

I also read the food columns in The American which is an online magazine that has a good food column on Rome.

Antonio from Rome

Da Tonino at via del Governo Vecchio 19 : NON TOURISTIC!!!!!!

1. Da Tonino (restaurant)