Alex
Athens, Greece

Rome

48 hours in Rome

I will be spending 3 days/2 nights in Rome between Christmas and New Years. Obviously this is not enough time to do many things, but I would surely want to avoid doing touristy things. Ideally, I would like to experience the city as a local, focusing on great local food and some art. I would probably be staying at an airbnb and would like to find a good neighborhood that's convenient to get around and that has a neighborhoody feel to it.

Samia from Bangladesh

I need more time to see more of Rome, especially Roma TrastevereVilla Borghese... but do check out the Bones church at Barberini...its not far from the Barberini metro station. 

I got to visit the nearby area of Ladispoli where there was a beach and fun vibes too. 

1. Roma Trastevere (attraction)
  2. Villa Borghese (attraction)
  3. Barberini (attraction)
  4. Ladispoli (city)

Travis from Kamloops

I've been to Rome three times now and really tried to get off the beaten path last time. I've found that my favourite neighborhood is Trastevere - it's got a great vibe, you're still close to the city, and there's lots of good, authentic food. 

For food I'd recommend Dar Poeta, Via di S. Francesco a Ripa, 137Pizzeria ai Marmi...but really any place with a line or that is busy in this neighbourhood is a good bet. 

For art there is the obvious ones - the Vatican Museums, Villa Borghese,  etc...but if you want to get away from the crowds head to Montemartini Museum - it's an old steam power plant which has been filled with old greek and roman sculptures (the juxtaposition is fantastic). We've got some photos on our blog (I will link at bottom). You can get there by taking the metro to Piramide (the station by the cool Pyramid of Caius Cestius) and walk the 15 mins to the museum (that way you get to see the pyramid as well). 

Hope this gives you a few ideas!

http://haveblogwilltravel.org/three-lesser-known-attractions-in-rome

1. Trastevere (neighborhood)
  2. Dar Poeta (restaurant)
  3. Via di S. Francesco a Ripa, 137 (attraction)
  4. Pizzeria ai Marmi (restaurant)
  5. Vatican Museums (attraction)
  6. Villa Borghese (attraction)
  7. Montemartini Museum (attraction)
  8. Piramide (attraction)
  9. Pyramid of Caius Cestius (attraction)