Diana
Lisbon

Rome

3 days in Rome - what to do?

Hello!

Me and my bf are going to Rome in January for a full weekend and want to make the most of it. But we'd also want to check the less touristic spots. What do you recommend?

Also, would highly appreciate some restaurant recommendations that are not pricey. :)

Thank you!

The Colosseum and Roman Forum are definitely must sees! I also think the Pantheon is a must see. I didn't enjoy the Vatican Museums as much as I thought I would but if you do want to go there to save hoards of time definitely pre-buy your tickets and try to go early, the line ups are crazy! We did all of those spots in one day, it's possible to squeeze a lot in, but it felt rushed.

I'm not sure what is non-touristy there, there are people everywhere, but do enjoy there are some lovely things to see!

1. Colosseum (attraction)
  2. Roman Forum (attraction)
  3. Pantheon (attraction)
  4. Vatican Museums (attraction)

Richard from Cape Town

Try to stay in Roma Trastevere it is the most vibrant area and very easy to travel to the main sites by bus or tram. Don't use taxi's, the bus service is easy to figure out with a bit of homework and they don't cost you an arm and a leg. If you only have three days don't try and go through the Vatican Museums unless you have set your heart on seeing Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel. Do however go see St. Peter's Basilica. The Pantheonis a must. the surrounding square also has great coffee shops. The best is hidden just up the block. It is called Tazza D'Oro Coffee Shop. Try the hot chocolate if it is a cold day. The best place to eat for real italian pizza, locals hanging out and a unique experience is Pizzeria ai Marmi. Affectionately known as the Mortuary because the tables are all marble slabs, it is cramped and busy and vibrant and fun and the food is UNBELIEVABLE. Back at the Pantheon, from there you can walk very easily to Piazza NavonaTrevi FountainSpanish StepsColosseum , the Roman Forum and end up at the Palatine Hill . I used to be a tour guide there. For three days I always suggested a 1. Roman forum and colosseum day, 2. Pantheon, Trevi, Spanish steps and then shopping day and 3. Vatican day with lunch somewhere with a view like the Capitoline Hill. Enjoy! I love Pamela's answer. Those are some amazing spots. Try and see all of that. :) Or toss a coin in the Trevi fountain go back to see Rome again. I have, several times.

1. Roma Trastevere (attraction)
  2. Vatican Museums (attraction)
  3. St. Peter's Basilica (attraction)
  4. Pantheon (attraction)
  5. Pizzeria ai Marmi (restaurant)
  6. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  7. Trevi Fountain (attraction)
  8. Spanish Steps (attraction)
  9. Colosseum (attraction)
  10. Roman Forum (attraction)
  11. Palatine Hill (attraction)
  12. Capitoline Hill (attraction)

Pamela from New Canaan, Connecticut

Here's an idea for one great day in Rome:  At the end of Via di Santa Sabina, you will find a large white sculpted facade, which is the entrance to the Buco della Serratura Priorato dei Cavalieri di Malta.  In the large green doors, there is a brass keyhole, through which you can see, from
miles away, the cupola of St. Peter's Basilica.  From the nearby gardens of Santa Sabina you will have a stunning view of Rome.  Walk from there down to the Piazza Bocca della Verità to put your hand into the Mouth of Truth, and then across Ponte Palatino to the charming neighborhood of Trastevere, where you'll find great shops and wonderful local ristorantes.  Don't miss the gorgeous Byzantine St Maria in Trastevere Basilica, and, for a treat, stop at Biscottificio Artigiano Innocenti on Via della Luce...a little bakery that makes a colossal assortment of Italian cookies!  

(Here's my photo through the keyhole.)

1. Via di Santa Sabina (attraction)
  2. Buco della Serratura Priorato dei Cavalieri di Malta (attraction)
  3. St. Peter's Basilica (attraction)
  4. Santa Sabina (attraction)
  5. Piazza Bocca della Verità (attraction)
  6. Mouth of Truth (attraction)
  7. Ponte Palatino (attraction)
  8. Trastevere (neighborhood)
  9. St Maria in Trastevere Basilica (attraction)
  10. Via della Luce (attraction)

Skeeter from The Oregon Coast

With only 3 days, my best advice would be to book tickets to the touristy spots in advance ie Colosseum, Vatican City. We saved a TON of time by doing that. As for a restaurant, I would recommend Dar Poeta, great pizza!

1. Colosseum (attraction)
  2. Vatican City (city)
  3. Dar Poeta (restaurant)

Joshua from Chicago

Just got back from a trip to Rome. The thing we found to be most convenient was the location of our hotel. The Smart Hotel was, for us, the best location in Rome. We did not waste time with the bus or taxis. We walked to some locations when we wanted to take in the city and when we did not want to walk, Stazione Roma Termini was a few blocks away.

Like Ashley said, do pre buy any tickets you can. Rome is chalked full of tourists and you can waste hours in line to enter these places unless you have your tickets pre bought. A must see is the top of St. Peter's Basilica. For a few euros you can go all the way to the top for the highest view point in Rome. Enjoy your trip!

1. Smart Hotel (hotel)
  2. Stazione Roma Termini (attraction)
  3. St. Peter's Basilica (attraction)

Diana from Lisbon

Hello everyone! Thank you for your inputs that helpped me organizing the best 3 days in Rome. I also wrote a blog post about it if you want to check it out: http://www.wheretwogoto.com/3-days-in-rome/