Sylvia
Texas

Sylvia from Texas asked

12 Days in Italy During Winter Starting and Ending in Rome

Hey All,

I got a great flight deal to Rome for Spring Break. Originally, I wanted to book a trip that would fly me into Milan and have me leave from Rome, but it was much cheaper to fly round trip to Rome.

I will have 12 days total for my trip. My main concern is that it is going to be quite cold during my trip (Last week of February-2nd week in March. As such, I'm probably not going to want to go to places like Cinque Terre where it would be more favorable to go in the warmer weather.

I was also considering flying to Paris and do a week there and then take the train back to Rome to fly out. I enjoy museums and eating, but I don't want to be stuck indoors all day staring at art because it is too cold to be outside.

Overall, I'm just wondering what you all would do in this case. I've never been to Italy or France and I've never been to Europe in the Winter. What itinerary would make the most sense given that I have to fly back out of Rome and that the weather is not going to be the best for being outside all day?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Rome   Paris

Tracy from Pennsylvania

I have been in both Paris and Rome in early Dec. I don't know how different the weather will be but just go prepared with layers and go out and enjoy the sites. I have been in europe during downpours, snow and heat. It is still a wonderful experience. This is your first visit take advantage of Italy. My favorite is Tuscany. We flew into and out of Rome also but rented a car and drove to Florence. We had been to Rome before. We stayed in Florence for a couple of days. We went to Pisa quickly to see the tower and onto Lucca ,loved this medieval city. We visited VolterraMontepulcianoCortonaAssisi,which was so worth the long walk from one end to the other. We stayed in Siena 2 nights, Orvieto for 1, then onto the Amalfi Coast. We stayed between Amalfi and Positano. We visited up and down the coast and finished in Naples. Truly nothing good to say about Naples, but you can't go wrong everywhere else. We where there 12 days also. If you don't want to drive, take your time in Rome it is beautiful and can take several days to see. You can then take a train, bus or plane and see another city. I highly suggest Florence and take side trips to see Tuscany! The people are wonderful and the food is delicous. Be wary of pick pockets especially in Rome. Also be mindful crossing streets in Rome, traffic comes out of no where. Enjoy

3. Tuscany (state)
  4. Volterra (city)
  5. Montepulciano (city)
  6. Cortona (city)
  7. Assisi (city)
  8. Siena (city)
  9. Orvieto (city)
  10. Amalfi Coast (attraction)
  11. Positano (city)
  12. Naples (city)
  14. Tuscany (state)
buard from Nantes

Hi Sylvia. there is so much to see in Italy!! In Rome, between, Palazzo Braschimuseo, Vatican City, Colosseum...AFter several days in this gorgeous city, you can rent a car or take a train to main other great cities : SienaPerugiaFlorence and even Venice (where you rent on Venice island, not Mestre, where some cheaper hotels are)...

1. Palazzo Braschi (attraction)
  2. Vatican City (attraction)
  3. Colosseum (attraction)
  4. Siena (city)
  5. Perugia (city)