joe
Florida

joe from Florida asked

1 hour layover to explore Rome?

I want to visit a nice piazza that is a short walking distance from a tram stop that goes to/from Fiumicino airport. Total exploration time is limited to one hour. Can anyone advise on how this can be done? Thanks.

Rome

Diana from Rome

Hi Joe, 

I believe you will be taking the Leonardo Express from Termini to Fiumicino. If so, you can easily walk to Piazza della Repubblica from Termini Station, where you'll find the Fountain of the Naiads. 

Krista from San Francisco

Unfortunately, I have to second Richard. FCO is pretty far from the center of Rome, so it would be impossible to see much in an hour. In fact, just leaving the airport and re-entering would probably take that much time itself. 

Sounds like you should plan a trip to Rome, though! :)

Pat from Cambria

No way would I trust this tight of a schedule when you would have to take the Express. Just walking around the train station area for an hour, there is no enjoying this with worry about making it back to clear security and board your plane. Why not check into transportation over to the archeological site at Ostia Antica  which is just 5 miles from the airport, along the sea?

Terri
I like this idea... too far to get to the center of Rome, and way too risky. If you can change your flights, I would do so and allow for at least one full day and night in Rome. You will be longing for more and planning your next trip back. Buon viaggio!

1. Ostia Antica (city)
Richard from Cape Town

I hate to say it but 1 hour is very tight and you probably won't be able to do it. If anything about your flight changes, terminal change etc, you'd be out of luck. Simply travelling to and from a good place to experience anything of Rome will take you an hour.