Renee
Ohio

Riviera Maya, Tulum, Chichen Itza, Cancun

Do we visit Chichen Itza, Tulum, or both?

Our resort will be closer to Tulum, but Chichen Itza is a 7 wonder of the new world.

Jessica from Calabasas

The answer is... both!  They are so very different.  Tulum is awesome - you'll recognize it from a bunch of movies, breathtakingly beautiful.  Last time I went, you could swim off the small cove below it too, although the waves are a bit rough there, so we didn't do it with small children.

Chichen Itza, we went to see it at night.  There was an illumination show which was pretty cool and gave us all the archeological information about the purpose and significance of the site.

1. Tulum (city)
  2. Chichen Itza (city)

Matthias from Copenhagen

Tulum is great and chill - the ruins are worth walking, but my favourite attraction is the food near the beach stretch - Posada Margarita being a world class italian restaurant. Taxis are easy to get and cheap. They also have a boutique hotel, but that is hugely popular.

Chichen Itza is worthwhile too, but can be done in a day. 4-5 hours was enough for me and my girlfriend. Trick: Come when they open(9am) before the crowds.

Near Tulum is also Coba - compared to Chichen Itza, it's much more "Indiana Jones" - jungle, bike taxis if your feet are sore and then you can climb the main pyramid allowing you to see the spectacular view over the jungle. Imagining a high priest shouting from up there is quite powerful. Nearby is also a lake with crocodiles.

If you like snorkelling, turtles and beautiful fish, you should visit Sian Ka'an - life-vest on and then you get to see sweet sea turtles and nearby you can go for a swim with a ton of tropical fishes.

1. Tulum (city)
  2. Chichen Itza (city)
  3. Coba (city)
  4. Sian Ka'an (attraction)
  5. Posada Margarita (attraction)

Serena from San Francisco

If you have time, both! If not, it depends on what you're looking for. If your main priority is ruins, then Chichen Itza is probably best. However, if you're more interested in seeing some beautiful ruins and exploring a gorgeous beach town, then I'd say Tulum. The ruins of Tulum are not as impressive as Chichen Itza, but they are still pretty incredible.

Tulum is stunning. It's easily my most favorite beach town in Mexico, and one of my favorite places in the world. You can rent a bike and meander through the town and explore the ruins and ceynotes. For me it's a must do.

1. Chichen Itza (city)
  2. Tulum (city)

Patricia from Munster,Ontario

Chichen Itza is by far the most famous and seeing the observatory, the ball court, and El Castillo in person is impressive. However, it has become quite touristy over the years and not being able to climb El Castillo anymore is a drawback.

Tulum has the nicest setting since it is right on the ocean. However, it is very small compared to the others and only has about 1 or 2 impressive buildings. The positive is that you can visit it easily in less than a full day...

Coba is about another 45 minutes northwest of Tulum (so add another 1.5 hours to your day) but it is spread over a vast area. There are not as many tourists there, and even if there were, it is so spread out that you wouldn't notice it as much. I believe it is still possible to climb the pyramid ruin.

1. Chichen Itza (city)
  2. El Castillo (attraction)
  3. Tulum (city)
  4. Coba (city)

Gaurav from Calgary, Alberta

They're both different from each other. Chichen Itza is more "grand" in scale, but Tulum is often quieter.

If you wanted to do a couple of ruins, I'd say check out Coba and Tulum. Between those you'll get a really well rounded experience. 

1. Chichen Itza (city)
  2. Tulum (city)
  3. Coba (city)

Shi from Hamilton (Ohio)

It's been a while since I've been to Chichen Itza, but when it comes to exploring ruins I would choose it over Tulum.  There was much more to see at Chichen Itza.  I have heard that some of the ruins have been roped off and you can no longer climb the pyramids.  If you are staying close to Tulum you are close to Xel Ha which was fantastic for snorkeling, like swimming through an aquarium.  It's a bit commercial, but I think most of the destinations in Mexico have become "touristy".

1. Chichen Itza (city)
  2. Xel Ha (attraction)

Edgar from San Luis Río Colorado

I recommend you to visit both, transportation is not really expensive around the Riviera. You should  make the most of your trip! 

1. Riviera (city)

Karen from Presas, Hidalgo, Mexico

1. Chichén Itzá (attraction)

Greg from Roanoke

1. Tulum (city)