Kimberly

Riviera Maya

Best Resort in The Riviera Maya?

I just got back from a long weekend in Riviera Maya at the El Dorado Seaside Suites and Resorts, and have wondered what is the best resort? 

I know the Rosewood is one of the best, and I adored the El Dorado, but what is behind all of those other massive walls?

My travel style: I am minimalist that likes nice things and good service. I tend to go with the flow, and am a leisurely traveler.  

Carlos

You should try Holbox Island, it is everything you described, minimalistic with great service. It is an Island north of Cancun, and it is very local, resorts are not as fancy but service is great. I would recommend Las Nubes de Holbox.

1. Holbox Island (city)
  2. Las Nubes de Holbox (hotel)

Josh

I stayed at the  Excellence Riviera Cancun for my honeymoon in late 2007 and it was amazing. From what I have read it has only improved. Their sister resort in Excellence Playa Mujeres (also called Excellence, I believe it opened in 2008) is also supposed to be great and the two are frequently listed among the top all inclusive resorts around.

1. Excellence Playa Mujeres (attraction)
  2. Excellence Riviera Cancun (hotel)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

The Maroma Resort and Spa is pretty awesome and I heard from a trusted source that the Viceroy Riviera Maya is great.

1. Maroma Resort and Spa (hotel)
  2. Viceroy Riviera Maya (hotel)