Brittany
Havelock North, New Zealand

Rishikesh

Choosing an ashram in Rishikesh

Hey beautiful people, I'm planning a trip to India in April-May next year and I'm seeking reccomendations on ashrams in Rishikesh, for about a month long stay focussed on yoga, meditation, exploring the culture and experiencing the ganges and himalayas. I love ashtanga/vinyasa yoga, I would prefer somewhere not super busy and touristy but don't mind people around. I would like my trip to have a spiritual focus but not really a religious one and a more relaxed ashram environment would suit me, rather than a strict one. I would like to do the trip fairly cheaply, however, I would like clean, comfortable accomodation.

Seems like a lot to ask but I'm hoping you guys can help :)

Thanks

Arti from Mumbai

Hi Brittany,

It is nice to hear that you will be visiting Rishikesh. It is one of my favorite cities in India. The time spent sitting alone on the banks of River Ganga, just going blank and one can feel all the stress and the tension flush out of the system.

I have stayed at the Swami Dayananda Ashram Rishikesh twice and it is a beautiful ashram which is not crowded and provides a perfect getaway as it also has its own Ghats from where one can sit down with River Ganga.

The private ghat at the Swami Dayanand Ashram

Here are a couple of old posts that I wrote on my experiences of staying at the Swami Dayanand Ashram:

I hope that you have a wonderful time there and do feel free to connect with me on social media or on my blog and I would love to answer any follow up questions that you might have.

1. Rishikesh (city)
  2. Swami Dayananda Ashram Rishikesh (attraction)

Tushar from Mumbai

Hi Brittany,

Great timing April - May!! I had not been to Rishikesh since last year's floods. But things are pretty fine there as I hear from my friends who stay there. They own a sweet guest house. - Laxmi Yellow Guest House

Considering that I don't know much about different form of yoga.... like you mentioned ashtanga/vinyasa yoga ( I feel bad I Heard those 1st time in my life ) But yes I go to Rishikesh every once for the Peace you can get there. You can sit near the banks of Ma Ganga for hours with no one disturbing.

But with regards to ashram I know a few, also since you wont like a crowded / strict ruled ashram. I think you should try a good one around Laxman Jhula

Phool Chatti  / Osho / Siddharth Yoga Center and I also don't know how these ashrams charge but you can always explore for cheaper options I guess.

"The most famous ashram in Rishikesh is Parmarth Niketan - You must visit this place in the evening for the Ganga Arti its near Ram Jhula"

For Stay : I will recommend my friends place. Its more quite / more of foreigners over there. The place owned buy a sweet couple Jay & Motoko ( Call : + 91 9760 506 761 ) Or you let me know and will book it for you .

Personlly a very decent room with good Marbonite flooring, Slide Window and "A Clean Western Toilet" with hot & cold water supply shall cost may be 600-800 INR ( Twin Bed ) Near around Laxman Jhula. Personally I will recommend you that you stay around Laxman Jhula since Ram Jhula is more crowded by Indian coming for Religious Tours!!! 

You can also trek around pretty much!

Hope you have a great time in Rishikesh :)

-Tushar

1. Laxman Jhula (attraction)
  2. Ram Jhula (attraction)

bhavishya from Bharatpur

I think you should go for Parmarth Niketan Ashram .This ashram is good and rooms are cheap ,clean and comfortable

1. Parmarth Niketan Ashram (attraction)