giulia
Turin

Rio de Janeiro

What to do and see in Laranjeiras and Gloria districts

Hi, I will spend a month in Brazil (between june and july 2014) and I've rent a flat between Laranjeiras and Gloria district for the days in Rio. Could anyone give me advice aboute the two districts? Where to eat or drink or chill out. Place to see, shop to visit. Any tips will be welcomed. Thanks a lot

ps I usually stay in cozy unformal place with a taste

Giulia

Diego from Rio de Janeiro

Hey Giulia,

One place that's near Laranjeira is  Cobal do Humaitá (http://www.yelp.com/biz/cobal-do-humait%C3%A1-rio-de-janeiro) where you gonna find a few restaurants and should take two days to try every one of each. Here you can find a List of Bars and Restaurants - Cobal.

Going on on that there's  Botafogo which has a night life and a few restaurants to try:

1. Tragga is a Argentinian restaurant with good wine and meat selection
  2. Caravelas do Visconde is also good and it's used to be crowded at lunch time
  3. iPiatti Ristorante e Sushi Bar is good and during the lunch they offer you pay-by-weight italian and japanese food.

Moving on to Gloria, there's nothing that I would recommend myself, the past 5-8 yrs Gloria has been forgotten by our governors and has a high crime rate and tonight is crowded with smugglers and transsexuals.

Hope that gives you the first steps here.

1. Cobal do Humaitá (attraction)
  2. Botafogo (neighborhood)
  3. Tragga (restaurant)
  4. Caravelas do Visconde (attraction)
  5. iPiatti Ristorante e Sushi Bar (restaurant)

Pedro from Buenos Aires

Hi, Giulia.

Great neighborhood you chose! Half way between downtown and the beach side.

There are a lot of little restaurants near by, some of them with northern Brazilian cuisine - very nice. A good one to start with is Estação República, in front of the Estação Museu da República, at Catete neighborhood. Nice food, many possibilities and excellent service.

At the Men de Sá St., there's a restaurant called Nova Capela. Very rich food with a local neighborhood touch.

For drinks, I highly recommend the Lapa neighborhood at night. You shouldn't go alone, always accompanied by a friend - preferably a local. The area has lots of very different options of nightlife, from Forró to samba, to salsa, to rock and more. The prices of drink vary from place to place, so if that's an issue for you, have a look at it before you enter.

To hang out, you definitely should go to the Aterro do Flamengo, a park at the coast of the Guanabara Bay. It's very beautiful and has lots of playgrounds and people exercising that makes it very picturesque. I don't recommend going by night, since you could get mugged.

The beaches are always the first option of leasure. Don't miss Copacabana Beach, Arpoador, Praia Vermelha etc.

If you wish to go for tours and activities, let me know, since I work at rdj4u.com, a travel services site. We can arrange something of your liking.

Have a great time at Rio! Cheers!

1. Estação República (restaurant)
  2. Estação Museu da República (attraction)
  3. Catete (attraction)
  4. Nova Capela (restaurant)
  5. Lapa (neighborhood)
  6. Aterro do Flamengo (attraction)
  7. Guanabara Bay (attraction)
  8. Copacabana Beach (attraction)
  9. Arpoador (attraction)
  10. Praia Vermelha (attraction)

There is not a big difference if you ask me.

Laranjeiras is a little more quiet and a little more safe than Gloria I would think, but they are both middle class parts of town where you are fairly safe as long as you are staggering around drunk at night.