Theresa
Hollywood

Rio de Janeiro

Visiting Christ the Redeemer- where to buy tickets?

Hello friends! I'm visiting Rio this November and interested in seeing Christ the Redeemer. I'll have a car rented, and I've read online that you can visit Christ the Redeemer by partially driving up, parking, and then taking a R$18 bus up. But as far as specifics — where to park, where to buy tickets — I don't have much. Any help here? Thanks!

Cesar

Hello, the tickets can be bought right there at the Corcovado station in Cosme Velho. I agree you can just stay in line with the tourists and buy. That should about 30-60min, though. Some tours or online options may save you the time on the line.

Polly from Washington, DC

Hi Theresa! It's true that you can take a mini-bus up - but I think the train is more fun. I didn't drive, so I don't know the details on that, but if you end up taking the train, I can help you there!

The station for Corcovado is located on Rua Cosme Velho, which is easily accessible by bus (terminal across the street) or taxi. You can buy tickets right at the train station. I think you can buy tickets online as well, but they're almost never sold out and if you wait to buy them, you can be more certain of the weather.

If you do end up driving, it looks like you can park at the Paineras station (the blue square on the map to the right) and get tickets there, but I'll let someone who's done it confirm that.

Also, if you're driving, you might consider checking out the Dona Marta overlook. It's not far, and if you're there during daylight, may be worth doing.

1. Corcovado (attraction)
  2. Cosme Velho (attraction)