I'm traveling to Rio during the World Cup for 10 day so I would like to hear some recommendations about what to do in Rio. I'm interested in local culture, food, see around the city, some activities outside of the city (could be small nearby towns), and extreme sports.
First of all, welcome to our beautiful country !!!
- hang-gliding departing from "Pedra da Gávea"
- Rio is plenty of mountains so climb them!
To do and see in Rio
- "Cristo Redentor" is mandatory !!!!!
- Hang out in the neighborhood called "Lapa" to see Samba
- Go to the beach. It's beautiful. (see the sunset)
- See the Lagoon (Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas)
- Teresópolis (where our team is training)
I could pass all my day writing about Rio. I don't how long you will stay, but this is some good tips considering what you asked.
- Don't go for prostitution
- Don't show off your gadgets and jewelry.
Take care and enjoy your stay !!!!
Mentioned in this answer:
A visit to Paraty would be a really good idea if you ask me.
Beautiful old colonial town 4 hours drive from Rio where you can take a day trip by sail boat from to some really nice isolated beaches. You will need to stay overnight there though.
And if you like extreme sports then I would recommend to take a hang gliding trip over the city while you are there.
Great way to see the city.