Bianca
Miami

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Safety in Rio de Janeiro for a group of women

My girlfriends and I have been wanting to take a girls' trip to South America for what seems like forever and Rio is one of the places, but we have some safety concerns. For ladies who have visited there, did you feel safe or unsafe there? Were you ever concerned about things like purse snatching, pickpocketing or kidnapping? We just want to make sure we go somewhere reasonably safe. We want to have fun, but safety first! What are the neighborhoods we should look into or avoid?

Isabele from Ibiza

Hi Bianca, I'm from Rio and I really know about our famous to be a violent city...in part it's true and other not. It depends in what neighborhoods you'll stay. Of course in touristic areas like Copacabana Beach, there are a lot of pickpocketing or kidnapping speciall at night or in the beach. The best option is to avoid walk to Copacabana beach at night and the city center by yourself. If you would like to visit  Lapa at night it's better to take a taxi and the same to came back, you also need to be care in Santa Teresa, it's really a so cool neighboarhood but in some places you need to be attention. The best zone to stay is Ipanema, its close to Copacabana, City Center and Leblon, and one of the safest neighbord in Rio. You also can stay in Laranjeiras, Botafogo, Flamengo and Copacabana beach (only need to be care at night in this places) is important go to the main avenue and there are movement of people. It's really a great city to visit with lot of options. If you need more information I'm here to help you. 

1. Copacabana Beach (attraction)
  2. Santa Teresa (attraction)
  3. Ipanema (city)
  4. Leblon (neighborhood)
  5. Laranjeiras (neighborhood)
  6. Botafogo (neighborhood)
  7. Flamengo (attraction)
  8. Lapa (neighborhood)

Laura from Buenos Aires

I've been to Rio twice and never felt unsafe. Of course you have to be careful and avoid certain places. I'd stay in Copacabana - Rio de JaneiroIpanema or Leblon. When you go to Lapa at night you can take a taxi but I went there by bus without a problem. 

It's one of the most beautiful and exciting city in the world, don't miss it. You'll be fine

1. Copacabana - Rio de Janeiro (attraction)
  2. Ipanema (city)
  3. Leblon (attraction)
  4. Lapa (neighborhood)

Mauricio from Brazil

It's a good question. Rio is a amazing big city and very very beautiful. It is reasonably safe, but you have to be careful in some aspects. 

The best option is have a Brazilian friend to take you for the best places in safety, but if this isn't possible maybe pay for a tour guide it's a good option.

- Always go by taxi

- Best neighborhoods is LeblonIpanema, Botafogo, Barra da Tijuca, Copacabana

- Don't show off your camera, smartphone, watches, jewels

Enjoy !!! 

1. Leblon (neighborhood)
  2. Ipanema (city)
  3. Botafogo (neighborhood)
  4. Copacabana (city)
  5. Barra da Tijuca (attraction)

Vinicius from Rio de Janeiro

For more safety trip in Rio stay in South Zone and regular tourist places.

If you wanna know for a tipical carioca (people who live in Rio) party's, go with trustable local resident. Sorry about the english  ;)

1. South Zone (attraction)

MaryRe from Rio de Janeiro

stay in Ipanema ou Leblon. it´s safe around here. but always stay aware of things like purse snatching, pickpocketing. I don't thing kidnapping will be a problem. In general is pretty safe. It's always safer where there are people around.

1. Ipanema (city)
  2. Leblon (neighborhood)