Alex
Santa Cruz

Rio de Janeiro

Best way to experience Rio Carnival 2015?

Heading to Rio for Carnival early next year! This is my first time attending so I have no idea where to start. What do I need to see to make the most of it?

Ramon from Rio de Janeiro

Brother, I'll give you some advice: Carnival in Rio is good, but if you are looking for the best carnival in the country, you should seek the cities of Minas Gerais, example: Ouro Preto. If you want to enjoy the RIO truth, look for the beaches of Copacabana Beach and Leblon. And is the best night in the bars of Lapa weekend.

1. Minas Gerais (attraction)
  2. Ouro Preto (city)
  3. Copacabana Beach (attraction)
  4. Leblon (neighborhood)
  5. Lapa (neighborhood)

Diana from Brazil

I can't tell about carnaval in Rio, but as Ramon suggested, the party in Minas Gerais is very good. Ouro Preto attracts people from all over, but is more like a college town. I would recommend Diamantina if you want to party hard, or Abaeté, both very popular over here. Just as a reminder, Salvador has one of the most famous Carnivals in Brazil, and Olinda one of the most culturally mixed. But I think you'll have a blast no matter what you choose. ;)

1. Minas Gerais (attraction)
  2. Ouro Preto (city)
  3. Diamantina (city)
  4. Abaeté (city)
  5. Salvador (city)
  6. Olinda (city)

Mark from Budapest

It is not easy if you don't have a local connection.....but anyway, make sure you get tickets to the sambadrome 'finale'.....it is a MUST attend.....starts around 10pm and goes until 6am....absolutely a MUST.    Beyond that, if you REALLY want to do Carnival properly, you should try and join a samba 'school'....that basically means you will be a participant in the parade etc....you get a costume, have to learn a dance, etc....but then you are basically 'in' the main part of Carnival....that costs $$ and need to coordinate WAY in advance.....but that seems like the 'once in a lifetime' way to do it......beyond that, just try and get some local connections if possible because Rio is outstanding - BUT, you need to know the right places to go and not to go because that will make a huge difference - much more so than any other big city I've ever been to.

Tye from Seattle, Washington

Make sure to celebrate Carnival in many different areas of Rio: down on Copacabana and Ipanema beach, up in Lapa and Santa Teresa, etc. If you book a hostel ahead of time you might get lucky and book it for a non-Carnival price, which is what happened to my friend and I. We were able to convince the hostel to honor the rate of $22 per night, which meant our Carnival was really cheap! 

1. Copacabana (city)
  2. Ipanema (city)
  3. Lapa (neighborhood)
  4. Santa Teresa (attraction)

MaryRe from Rio de Janeiro

On the streets of Santa Teresa and Zona Sul (south zone)! Bring some light costumes and have fun! 

Stay in Ipanema and get around.

1. Santa Teresa (attraction)
  2. Ipanema (city)