Rachel

Reykjavik

What can I do in the winter?

I have a notion of planing a trip to Reykjavik for a long week around American Thanksgiving weekend (the last week in November). I'd love to be able to see the Northern Lights, but know that it will come down to luck. 

What other must-see places are there to visit during the off-season. Are there any activities that we should plan to do? I heard that hot springs are a big winter activity, is there anywhere I should plan to go?

We aren't opposed to traveling out of the city if there are worthwhile activities to pursue in other locations. 

Janine from Toronto

Any hotel in Reykjavik can make arrangements for any of the many tours that run each day. The whole country seems super organized this way. While I was there I booked tours over three different days - each time with  pick up and drop off at my hotel. I didn't see the Northern Lights on my tour...but really enjoyed my Golden Circle tour to Gullfoss Waterfall, Geysir and Thingvellir National Park. Get a window seat so you can see the beautiful landscape, Icelandic horses and the little houses built for the "Hidden People". I also did a Blue Lagoon on my way to catch my flight. This was really easy as I could store my luggage while i enjoyed a swim (and a beer) and then continued on to the airport. You can also check out www.re.is to book. If you need a hotel - check out the 101 HOTEL - a really cool little design hotel in a great location.

1. Golden Circle (region)
  2. Gullfoss Waterfall (attraction)
  3. Geysir (attraction)
  4. Thingvellir National Park (attraction)
  5. Blue Lagoon (attraction)
  6. 101 HOTEL (attraction)
  7. Reykjavik (city)

Jamie

Gullfoss Waterfall is beautiful even in winter - the lack of daylight gives everything a gorgeously eery blue glow. Also, the Blue Lagoon is worth checking out. Your skin will thank you!

1. Gullfoss Waterfall (attraction)
  2. Blue Lagoon (attraction)