William
West Bend

Reykjavik

Typical Icelandic Sunday dinner

My wife and I are heading to Reykjavik in February. We both enjoy good food and cultural experiences and would like to enjoy a typical Icelandic Sunday night dinner. What restaurants can you recommend?

Icelandic Fish and Chips is a modern, healthy spin on traditional fish & chips. They don't make anything that isn't caught that same day right in the vicinity. 

If you wander around on the docks just north of there, you'll find plenty of other seafood restaurants, too. Another place I liked was called The Scandinavian. If you want a great place to hang out and have espresso, any of the Kaffitár locations are great. 

You can get awesome dessert just about anywhere in Iceland. But if you want some ambiance to go along with the cake, I recommend Súfistinn. There's also a kitschy Viking hotel nearby, which is fun,

1. Icelandic Fish and Chips (restaurant)
  2. Kaffitár (restaurant)
  3. Súfistinn (restaurant)

Breanna from Los Angeles

I just tried Tapas barinn - they have a "Travellers Tasting Menu" that includes whale, puffin, lobster and 3 more courses + dessert for about $52. Cocktails will run you about $18.

Was an interesting way to get to try some "typical" Icelandic dishes!

1. Tapas barinn (restaurant)