Michelle

Michelle from New York City asked

Best way to travel around Reykjavic / to and from airport

A friend and I will be visiting Reykjavik at the end of March. We hadn't planned on renting a car, as we are trying to keep costs low, but we're still trying to get a sense of the public transportation situation there. Where we are staying it's about a 15 minute drive into the city center and 40 minutes from the KEF airport. How difficult is it to get around by public transportation?  

Reykjavik

Fran

Honestly for two people you will see more and save money by renting a car particularly if you are staying outside the city centre. Hire cars have the winter tyres and roads are pretty quiet. The bus service from the airport is well run but expensive. Still worth using local bus to get into the city narrow St's and parking nightmares.

Dianne

What Tyler said. Note. Last I knew there was no Uber or lyft in Iceland. So dont rely on that. I would not even think of driving in downtown Reykjavik. Way too congested and parking is terrible. Have fun.

Tyler from Edmonton

There is almost always a shuttle available from the Keflavík International Airport.  There are a couple different companies, but you can book ahead of time through the Flybus website: https://www.re.is/flybus

I'd recommend just purchasing when you land since if your flight is late, you might end up having to buy another ticket. I've never had issues doing it this way.

Once you're in Reykjavik, you can walk everywhere. Driving around Reykjavik can be a bit of a pain if you rent a car.