Reno

What's the best neighborhood in Reno for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Reno and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Reno is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Jamila

Hi. Stay at the Eldorado Resort Casino or Silver Legacy Resort Casino Reno downtown. Casinos are often cheaper than motels and way better. But stay at a downtown casino. It is relatively safe because of all the casino security. There lots of restaurants, bars, clubs and gambling in the casinos, outdoor dinning almost year round, theaters, parks, coffee shops and more. Walk half a mile north to the university for a college feel, or half a mile south to Midtown which is a more eclectic area. Lots of locally owned shops, restaurants, yoga, cool bars, a great art museum (NMA), antiques, tattoo shops galore. A stroll on the river walk is great, And if you want to to walk a mile you can go all the way to Idlewild Park for food truck Friday's. Daytime is safe everywhere, and at night as long as you stay in between Center and Arlington streets. California Ave. is a good street to stroll on for shops and side streets for beautiful houses especially in the fall. Take a cab to Victorian Avenue square for fun. There is a lot to do here if you ask a local. Have fun!

1. Eldorado Resort Casino (hotel)
  2. Silver Legacy Resort Casino Reno (hotel)
  3. Idlewild Park (attraction)
  4. Victorian Avenue (attraction)

Courtney from Reno

If you are looking for the casino vibe, Peppermill Resort Spa Casino, Silver Legacy Resort Casino Reno or Eldorado Resort Casino are decent and have tons of amenities. If you are not into that scene Whitney Peak Hotel is brand new and beautiful.