ryan
Austin (Texas)

Remote honeymoon destination that has plenty of sun in November?

We live in Austin. Willing to travel far to get to our destination but a shorter flight would be a plus. 

Trip length is 8 -10 days. 

Looking for somewhere remote and romantic. Ideally the trip would provide balance of relaxation (at hotel property) and exploration (of the area surrounding the resort or hotel). 

Nalin from Cypress

I'd recommend Sri Lanka b/c you'll see the sun all year around. The only downside is that it's a long flight to get there. Also make sure to avoid heavy rains during your stay.

There are quite a number of places you could visit--from beach cities, to country sides to cultural triangle, etc. I've posted an answer highlighting major destinations. Hope it helps you narrow down where you want to go.

I'd recommend the following,

Heritance Kandalama: This place is right at the heart of the cultural triangle. If you are into safari, this is the place to go. Sigiriya Rock FortressDambulla Rajamaha Viharaya, and many other popular attractions are within close distance to the hotel.

The Ark:  "In rural Sri Lanka, a ‘watch-hut’ is adopted as an elevated refuge for the farmer to protect the cultivation overnight. In retrospect ‘The Ark’ is a contemporary style elevated estate villa nestled on a raised terrain of a 40 acre estate in Mathugama, where the rubber plantation stops and the jungle begins. It’s unique and elevated sitting allows a breathtaking view of the estate, the valley below and hills beyond, leaving you in lush green seclusion."

98 Acres Resort & Spa: I think the following images speaks for itself :)

1. Sri Lanka (country)
  2. Heritance Kandalama (hotel)
  3. Dambulla Rajamaha Viharaya (attraction)
  4. The Ark (hotel)
  5. 98 Acres Resort & Spa (attraction)
  6. Sigiriya Rock Fortress (attraction)

Josh from Baton Rouge

Check out St John, USVI.

You can stay in a private villa for a week+ and be extremely secluded depending on location.  

Check out http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/ .  Here is where my wife and I stayed on our honeymoon:

http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/property/summerwind/

Not only is it super secluded, but you have your own private pool and hot tub with an amazing view.

November is still off-season pricing so it is a good deal.  Just be aware that it will be the very tail end of hurricane season.

For more information on activities, restaurants, etc. please see my previous answer here:  http://www.trippy.com/question/St-John-Must-see-do-while-in-the-Virgin-Islands/answer/54a2eae9e4b0f8fe71b8651f#answerItemView_54a2eae9e4b0f8fe71b8651f

1. St John, USVI (attraction)

Jane

For a short flight from Austin, how about Costa Rica?  Rivers, jungles and beaches.  Experience the Arenal Volcano and relax in the hot springs.  Head over to the Monteverde Cloud Forest, and keep your balance, as you go across on the aerial bridges above the rain forest. And you could end your trip by relaxing a few days at a beach resort sipping tropical drinks while listening to the monkeys nearby in the jungle.  

http://destinationweddingmatch.com/

1. Costa Rica (country)
  2. Monteverde Cloud Forest (attraction)

Jana from Caye Caulker

Check out Belize, Ryan.  I live on Caye Caulker and manage property rentals.  The two main tourist islands are Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye, Belize.  Ambergris has more high end hotels and restaurants, we on Caye Caulker are more layed back and off the beaten path.  It's a quick flight from Texas, you can be settled in on the caye by early afternoon.  Let me know if you have any more questions!

1. Belize (country)
  2. Caye Caulker (island)
  3. Ambergris Caye, Belize (attraction)

Sri Lanka and the MaldivesMaybe 5 days in the Maldives then, hire a car and driver to tour Sri Lanka 's cultural triangle. The weather should be fab and it's a very interesting place.

1. Sri Lanka (country)
  2. Maldives (country)

Don from Austin (Texas)

Based upon a short flight (s), I would suggest Costa Rica and specifically, the southwestern portion of the country from Dominical to the Osa Peninsula. It's remote but with good restaurants and groceries within reach and you can rent a luxury home for much less than a hotel in other areas. 

Simply fly on SWA to San Jose and then catch a puddle jumper on Nature Air to fly into Quepos and rent a 4 wheel drive car or SUV (you'll need it believe me) and head south. 

My wife and I did this trip last August and it was amazing. We spent every day on a new adventure discovering hidden beaches, waterfalls, and love!

Enjoy your trip where ever you go!

1. Costa Rica (country)
  2. San Jose (city)
  3. Quepos (attraction)

Jen from Los Angeles

A few of my favorite sunny spots that I've ventured to in November include the Virgin Islands (specifically St John ...gorgeous and secluded, plus tons of stunning beaches and hikes throughout the island), Costa Rica (many adventures to be had on land and on the sea; I've traveled there 3 times in the past few years and am always amazed at how many things there are to see, do, learn and explore), and of course it's hard to go wrong with Hawaii.

If you're up for a bit of a longer flight from TX, then I would recommend checking out Thailand. I just returned from my first trip to Southeast Asia and absolutely loved it! While the flight may be a bit pricier than the other options I suggested, once you are there the cost of hotels, food, taxis, etc., is much cheaper than the other locations. Check out the Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort- perfect location nestled on its own beach while being close enough to grab a cheap taxi ride to Pa Tong and other towns but secluded enough to get away from the hustle and bustle, relaxing on the beach to enjoy your honeymoon.

Safe travels!

1. Virgin Islands (country)
  2. St John (island)
  3. Costa Rica (country)
  4. Thailand (country)
  5. Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort (restaurant)
  6. Pa Tong (neighborhood)

Deanna

Stay right here in the US and head down to Key West.  It is a beautiful little paradise that offers many things to do.  You can scuba dive, snorkel, parasail, swim with dolphins and of course fish.  There are many great resorts and also quaint little hotels at reasonable prices. Fresh seafood every night and the nightlife is terrific.  If you chose to pub crawl, just hit Duvall Street and get to it.  We went in February, and it was warm and sunny.  You will truly be on island time and not want to leave! 

1. Key West (city)

Celia from Waterloo (Iowa)

We loved Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic in December. The city was busy and congested from the airport to the resort, but otherwise less chaotic at the resort. We stayed at the Hard Rock Cafe Punta Cana, my husband loved that all of the staff spoke English. We did some very awesome excursions set up through the hotel (tour of banana plantation and cigar factory, ATVs through the jungle, horseback on the beach, and a party catamaran). There are also adults only resorts in Punta Cana, but I am not sure of the other excursions that are offered.

1. Punta Cana (region)
  2. Hard Rock Cafe Punta Cana (restaurant)

Lynn

Someone mentioned Phoenix... rather than stay in that city (where I live), go up to Sedona & stay at the Enchantment Resort.  Beautiful scenery, remote, if you get tired of hanging around the pool or playing golf, there is hiking; also head up to Flagstaff & go to Lowell Observatory or Wutpaki  to see the Indian ruins, or see Sunset Crater (a volcano vent).  From Sedona you can go to Clarkdale & ride the Verde Valley Train.

1. Phoenix (city)
  2. Sedona (city)
  3. Enchantment Resort (hotel)
  4. Flagstaff (city)
  5. Lowell Observatory (attraction)
  6. Clarkdale (city)

Kris from Havana

Hi, Cuba is very close, romantic, exotic, safe, warm, friendly, peaceful & relaxing but also has exciting nightlife & clean beautiful beaches... I would be happy to help you plan a combo of Havana city & beach combo trip! I am a Cuba Travel Specialist since 2000! Cheers Kris Kurtossy

1. Cuba (country)

Gary from Winston Salem

Costa Rica is our favorite place on the planet - so far.  Consider Tamarindo  Rainy season is Sept / Oct.  November will be nice.  We love to relax on the beach; many nice hotels - hike the national parks, kayak, ride horses - all nearby.   

1. Tamarindo (city)

Courtney from San Diego

Everyone thinks automatically thinks "beach" with a question involving "sun" "remote" and "romantic"

Might I suggest the desert in November? You won't have to fly far from Austin to make it Arizona. I know that Phoenix doesn't sound very remote, but since you're familiar with the wide open west, I'm sure you believe me that there are quiet, private, getaway places to be found in zip codes more notoriously associated with city and busy.

Anyway, I recommend staying for 8-10 days at The Arizona Grand ResortThere's an award winning spa on-site, golf course, a not-too crowded but very over the top water park, fine dining and really great poolside bars. Above all its luxury, luxury, luxury.

1. Phoenix (city)

Christine from Los Angeles

Playa del Carmen just south of Cancun is awesome.  It's away from the craziness and it reminds me of Europe with cobblestone streets, but with nice beaches- there are cute restaurants and shops. You can go a bit further south to the Riviera Maya and the water is clear and blue with powdery white sand beaches. There are fun things to do too- you can go and visit Mayan ruins, go zip lining etc.  All of this is just about an hour south of Cancun- you can arrange transportation to your destination from the airport so you don't have the hassle of driving. You really can't go wrong with either and the weather is awesome!!Riviera Maya

1. Playa del Carmen (city)
  2. Cancun (city)
  3. Riviera Maya (city)

Judi

You might try Hawaii or Polynesia. For closer, consider Mexico or Central America. There are beautiful, remote, romantic hotels, resorts, beaches, interesting local explorations at all and they are easy to get to from Austin. 

1. Hawaii (state)
  2. Mexico (country)
  3. Central America (region)

sandra

The Big IslandKona  You not only get great weather, but the opportunity to travel around an amazing island and be in 11 of the world's 14 climate zones in 1 day!  Fabulous food, scenery, atmosphere.  I have been fortunate enough to travel much of the world and this is still my favorite spot.  

If you pick it, don't miss going to Waipio Valley - going on horseback through this off-the-grid spot will make you forget you're in the US, or even the 21st century!  

1. The Big Island (island)
  2. Kona (island)
  3. Waipio Valley (attraction)

Jill from Montclair

I would suggest Trancoso, Brazil.  It's perfect for a honeymoon.  Some of the most beautiful beaches in the world as well as amazing restaurant options and venues in the evening.  Water sports such as kayaking, windsurf, kite surf, surfing, as well as eco-tourism, boating and horse back riding on the beach.  Trancoso also has a stunning golf course with stunning views of the ocean and beaches.  I would combine Trancoso with a few nights in Rio de Janeiro and a night in Iguazú Falls for a perfect honeymoon.

Feel free to contact me. Jill at South American Escapes.   Trancoso

Trancoso Golf Course overlooking the ocean.

1. Trancoso (city)
  2. Iguazú Falls (attraction)
  3. Rio de Janeiro (city)

Eva from New York City

Since you didnt say anything about budget...

St Lucia is a great honeymoon destination. There is a variety of pricing. 

As Celia mentioned, the Hard Rock resorts. I would recommend the one in the Riviera Maya- shorter flight. There's an Adult only section - Heaven. I'm booking a destination wedding there now and they offer a lot for the money. Not sure if their honeymoon packages are that appealing. 

And, the best destination IMO is Saint Barthelemy. A spectacular island. November is a great time of year - the season has begun but it's not as busy as Christmas/New Years. It's low season for hotel and villa rentals. You will need a car there to explore but that way you can visit the island's best beaches, restaurants and do some hikes if that appeals to you. 

1. St Lucia (country)
  2. Riviera Maya (city)
  3. Saint Barthelemy (city)

Eddie from Bronx

Bora Bora - Tahiti

1. Bora Bora (island)

Pawan from Delhi

You should check out Borneo...

1. Borneo (attraction)

Adrian from Lima, Peru

North of Perú, Vichayito

1. Vichayito (city)

Nars from Boston

1. Hawaii (state)