Redondo Beach

What's the best neighborhood in Redondo Beach for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Redondo Beach and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Redondo Beach is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

jen from Torrance

If you really want REDONDO BEACH, then consider staying at the Palos Verdes Inn Redondo Beach...which is pretty much a dive, but puts you right near Riviera Village Way, which is the heart of South RB.  The PV Inn has great views, though, if you get the right room!

Riviera Village is the southernmost area of Redondo Beach, and you will get a true sense of what this South Bay area is all about.

*** I digress here ....

And explore Palos Verdes Estates (PV), a little further south, and drive along Paseo del Mar to see an amazing view of the ocean, and some gorgeous homes. It curves around the South Bay, so you can look back at the city when you get further down the road.

So, I love PV because it is like its own little escape... like another country on the ocean cliffs. Head to Point Vicente Interpretive Center - this is where they do the official whale watch counting, and where the Point Vicente Lighthouse is. Bring your binoculars and pack a lunch and sit out on this beautiful point. There is also a little museum there on the property that is about the native americans that lived in the area, and also about Marineland. You can also eat just up the street at Hawthorne and PV Drive South (or West?) where there are restaurants with ocean views, along with a Starbucks, Subway, Trader Joes, etc...

Keep driving south on PV Drive and go to Terranea Resort for a TOTAL escape from reality... Hit Sea Beans coffee shop there, grab a sandwich and sit out on the patio. Or go to Nelson's to eat right on the cliffs. 

*** This is where I come back to Redondo...

Otherwise, head down to the Pier section, further north and adjacent to Hermosa Beach. See the answer from Linda Brown on where to stay there. 

There really are no bad areas of Redondo Beach if you stay on PCH or west of PCH...If you get into the North Redondo neighborhoods that border Inglewood Avenue and make a wrong turn, it really is not that big of a deal, but it's not pretty. Some people get all sketched out to be too far north (while more than a mile inland ;p) but it doesn't bother me or my family. You just have to act crazier than the craziest person around you. They'll leave you alone! Ha!

1. Palos Verdes Inn Redondo Beach (hotel)
  2. Riviera Village Way (attraction)
  3. Palos Verdes Estates (attraction)
  4. Point Vicente Interpretive Center (attraction)
  5. Point Vicente Lighthouse (attraction)
  6. Terranea Resort (hotel)
  7. Sea Beans (attraction)
  8. Nelson's (restaurant)
  9. Hermosa Beach (city)

Linda from Torrance

In Redondo Beach, you definitely want to stay near the beach....the rest of Redondo is just an ordinary suburb.  The only 3 hotels I would consider are The Redondo Beach Hotel- which is brand new across from the marina and about a 15 minute walk to the beach, the Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach and Marina- an older hotel right next door, or The Portofino Hotel & Marina- a waterfront hotel with views of the harbor and marina (right across the street from the other two, but a little more upscale).  In all honesty, I would recommend staying in Hermosa Beach - the neighboring city to the north instead of Redondo- it is much more lively and nicer to walk around, a young vibe, many good restaurants. A good place to stay in Hermosa Beach right on the beach in the middle of the action is the Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach.  

Janet

The new Shade Hotel is awesome and in a great location on the harbor.

1. Shade Hotel (hotel)