Drew
Angelika Film Center & Cafe

Recife

What to do in Recife (beyond seeing World Cup games, of course)?

I'm going to be in Recife the week of June 22nd with some buddies to see some World Cup games.  Would love to get suggestions of places to go/things to see in/around the game.  Some details about the trip:

• will be ~12 guys in their late 30s.  
  • would love to hear suggestions on great restaurants and some places to go out at night.  there are some single gentlemen in the group who would like to see local entertainment.  
  • any day trips or activities in town beyond the World Cup events?

I am actually going to be in Recife at the same time so I might see you there mate.

I have been there several times over the years and also lived there for a period of time so I know the city fairly well.

For places to see around Recife I would for sure recommend Olinda which is a really scenic old town only half an hour drive from Recife.

A little further north you have the island Itamaracá which is also nice and if you head a little south from Recife then you have some really nice beaches at Porto de Galinhas and Praia de Gaibú and beaches usually means some partying too in Brazil.

For places to eat you have an excellent restaurant called Tio Pepe in Recife and I personally like the place called Entre Amigos Praia a lot. It's a great place to go for some late afternoon grilled meat and some beer.

Portal do Derby is another good place and that is a little closer to the center of the city.

1. Recife (city)
  2. Olinda (attraction)
  3. Itamaracá (attraction)
  4. Porto de Galinhas (hotel)
  5. Praia de Gaibú (attraction)
  6. Tio Pepe (restaurant)
  7. Entre Amigos Praia (restaurant)
  8. Portal do Derby (restaurant)